Views
Helpful
Replies

Allow Internet Access

niameyniger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just did my CCNA certification during night class because i wanted to know how to manage the network in my own business.

I did set up and configure my network which consists of 52 computers.

Everybody is able to communicate with each other but now i would like all my hosts to have access to the internet.

What do I need to do so? what do i need to buy?

Thanks !

2 Replies 2

Hello,

first of all, congratulations with your CCNA !

In order to gain access to the Internet, generally you would implement Network Address Translation (NAT), since you will probably not be able to get (and pay for) 52 public IP addresses.

I would start out with getting information on what services are offered in your region (e.g. xDSL), because that would influence the decision on what equipment to buy. W

What (layer 3, or routing), if any, kit do you already have running currently in your network ?

Which country/city are you in ?

Regards,

GP

Hello

You will need to contact your Service provider, probably pay for 1 public ip. Then on your router the ip they give you will be assigned to the serial interface. Having multiple pc's you will want to set up PAT (port address translation), this is where all the pc's use the 1 internet address but each one gets tagged with a port number which relates back to your lan address. using the overload command when configuring NAT looks after this !!

HTH

Carl

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card