Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternative to 3508 - Switch L2 with more then 4 SFP ports

One of our costumers has a project to replace all the switches on their LAN.

It's a complicated scenario with many buildings, a many interconnections.

I haven't seen so much media-converters in single place in my life.

Recently they bought some WS-C2960-24TT-L, but for a few bucks they missed the SFP ports.

They have 6 interconnection points where we would need some switch with 6-8 SFP ports, and no more then 15 UTP ports.

In the actual portfolio of Cisco I found only the WS-C3750G-12S-S that combined with those 2960 would solve our problem.

I remembered the old 3508, and how it would fit perfectly to this case...

Doesn't Cisco has any switch L2 with around 8 SFP ports? Something on the lines 2960, or even ME3400?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You didn't mention whether you needed L2 or L3.

However, for situations where you need 6 to 8 SFP ports, you might consider stacking a pair of switches that have 4 SFP "uplink" ports, for example for L2, a pair of WS-C2960S-24TS-L switches, for L3 a pair of WS-C3750V2-48TS-S or WS-C3750G-24TS-S (or -E) switches.  This also provides some device redundancy.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't want to use chassis based switch and looking for 1 or 2Ru device that has combo of copper and fiber, you can use the 4900M series.  It is 2Ru device that can have 16 1Gig fiber and 20 10/100/1000 copper.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6021/ps9310/Data_Sheet_Cat_4900M.html

HTH

The problem is price...

On configurator, the price of a 4900 is twice of a WS-C3750G-12S-S.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A Layer 2 switch with >8 SFP ports?  You have but three candidates ...

1.  WS-C3750G-12S;

2.  WS-C3750X-12S; and

3.  WS-C3750X-24S

I don't recommend option #1.  Cisco is about to announce End-of-Sale in the next 3-4 months.  Option #2 or #3 and choose the LAN Base license feature set.

jbhilhorst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Douglas, your question baffles a lot of customers.

Cisco used to make the WS-C3508G-XL-EN with a listprice of US$ 4995. Unfortunately this switch became End Of Live, with no real replacement. The WS-C3750G-12S is an option, but has more options and is at US$ 7995 more expensive. Customers also evaluated the 4900, but this was even more costly and is a server switch, not intended for LAN deployments. Now the 3750X-12S is available at US$ 10.000.

We do not foresee a low cost switch with fiberports within the next few months, so if you can't wait to long you should make up your descision between the soon to be end of sale 3750G or the more expansive 3750X with even more options.

Luckely Cisco states that they are refocusing on Borderless/switching, so hopefully they will be putting a basic fiber switch in their portfolio soon.

Ok ... So you want to bring the cost down?  Contact Cisco Refurbish.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You didn't mention whether you needed L2 or L3.

However, for situations where you need 6 to 8 SFP ports, you might consider stacking a pair of switches that have 4 SFP "uplink" ports, for example for L2, a pair of WS-C2960S-24TS-L switches, for L3 a pair of WS-C3750V2-48TS-S or WS-C3750G-24TS-S (or -E) switches.  This also provides some device redundancy.

The best alterrnative that we found until now is the ME-3400G-12CS-A.

I has a price a bit smaller then 3750G-12S, has combo ports, I think that it will fit...

But we also liked of the alternativ based on a Stack of 2960S, on new building it will be implemented.

Thank you all...

Hi Dougles,

Don't forget that the 3400 or 3600X are Metro Ethernet switches . 

Stacking the 2960S will give you the ports needed, including extra UTP for "free". If your network can handle the slower stack convergence, this is the best switch solution for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco