cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Am I wasting my time here asking for help?

I’ve yet to actually get an answer that has helped me over the past few months when it comes to getting a 4321 router working as a router.

This is simple simple stuff that I need to do (I just need the functionality of a $30 router – I’m paying for quality not features. The original Cisco router we got ran for 10 years without a hiccup – that’s ALL I want right now.)

- Port 1, aka 0/0/1, aka 192.168.2.254 goes to the ISP’s ADLS/VDSL modem and is the Gateway address (according to the Cisco tech who connected to show me how to update the software and configure the ports this has to be the gateway address – yes, I have a service contract but want to learn how it’s done myself.)
- Port 2, aka 0/0/0, aka 192.168.2.253 goes to the switch (because eventually in our largest location I will be using the fiber link because the router and switch are on different floors.)
- The unit logs onto the ISP using PPPoE (Bell Canada.)
- The unit assigns IP addresses as devices are turned on (and takes them away when they are turned off), aka DHCP.
- I get internet access

Why is this proving to be impossible?

I get BDI set up on both ports so they are on the same subnet – then find out the hard way that PPPoE doesn’t want to work. (Our new store where this unit was installed was down for an hour Friday morning because the Bell 1000 unit did not want to get out of bridge mode when the test failed.)

I disable BDI this morning and then can no longer see the other port on the other subnet that I had to set it to – and still no internet access.

This isn't a router - it's a literal nightmare.

21 Replies 21

Paul, the problem is that I don’t understand 99.99% of the stuff being posted to even rate it.

Every router I've configured in the last 20 years has taken me 45 seconds - click click click done, internet working. I very rarely even change the default IP address they ship with - this thing has no default address. I had to get a Cisco tech to connect and give the ports addresses - if one's ISP is a cable company and you don’t need PPPoE, most routers work right out of the box, you don’t even have to configure them to get internet. Plug it in, connect two Ethernet cables, it's working. That is what I am used to, this stuff I have literally zero clue about.

When I read that this unit had a graphical interface I though "no problem, click click click done, internet working."

Hello,

did you get the configuration in I posted ?

@paul driver wrote:

Hello

@IT at Very Very Small Business wrote:

Sorry for the delay, I also do store maintenance and had a grease trap problem yesterday. (We are too small for a dedicated IT function.)

Now this running configuration may look like a dog’s breakfast in some places because on Sunday morning I was desperately entering all kinds of commands (most of which I have no idea what they changed) that I had written down when the various Cisco techs that connected to this unit were trying to get it working the way I need.

I am wondering if you really need to config this rtr as a PPOE client?
If you plug a laptop into the ISP rtr do you get ip address allocation?, If so then all the below configuration isn't necessary?

The ISP's router works like a normal router, its address is 192.168.2.1 and it starts issuing IP addresses at 192.168.2.2 as a router should.

Problem is ISP disabled port forwarding and I was told to put it on bridge mode and get my own router if I wanted that. Problem is, in bridge mode, no DHCP. Problem is Debit/Credit terminals don’t have a place to punch in a hard coded IP address if I want to not use DHCP (or if they do, the credit card company isn’t telling me or the Point of Sale SW provider - been there, thought of that.

I can put a static IP address on every device from computers to cash registers to security cameras to the printers - except the one thing that gets us paid.

More importantly, bridge mode = ISP modem NOT sending PPPoE login information to ISP = no internet.

I even ran out and bought a Netgear DM200 ADSL Modem because Netgear told me that it will send PPPoE in its bridge mode - just found a few hours ago, the hard way, when I checked the ISP's devices for another question here that it connects to the fiber interface box via RJ-45 not RJ-11/RJ-12 like every other ADSL modem I've seen until now - so the DM200 goes into the back of the closet and I have to disguise the receipt as office supplies before I submit it to accounting. 

@paul driver wrote:

I am wondering if you really need to config this rtr as a PPOE client?
If you plug a laptop into the ISP rtr do you get ip address allocation?, If so then all the below configuration isn't necessary?

The ISP's router works like a normal router, its address is 192.168.2.1 and it starts issuing IP addresses at 192.168.2.2 as a router should.

Problem is ISP disabled port forwarding and I was told to put it on bridge mode and get my own router if I wanted that. Problem is, in bridge mode, no DHCP. Problem is Debit/Credit terminals don’t have a place to punch in a hard coded IP address if I want to not use DHCP (or if they do, the credit card company isn’t telling me or the Point of Sale SW provider - been there, thought of that.

I can put a static IP address on every device from computers to cash registers to security cameras to the printers - except the one thing that gets us paid.

More importantly, bridge mode = ISP modem NOT sending PPPoE login information to ISP = no internet.

I even ran out and bought a Netgear DM200 ADSL Modem because Netgear told me that it will send PPPoE in its bridge mode - just found a few hours ago, the hard way, when I checked the ISP's devices for another question here that it connects to the fiber interface box via RJ-45 not RJ-11/RJ-12 like every other ADSL modem I've seen until now - so the DM200 goes into the back of the closet and I have to disguise the receipt as office supplies before I submit it to accounting. 

Hello

you can still do port forwarding in the new rtr 

question is how many internal users do you have and can they be readdressed?

Becasue at present the isp rtr will provide you with a private address -  this address for all in purposes will become your wan IP address for the new rtr

any traffic destined to a specific port internal will hit your isp get natted and hit you new rtr its here where you should apply  port forwarding via nat again 

To do this though you need to create a new internal network addressing  for your users (if applicable to do so) 

Otherwise you have no choice but to bridge which isn’t a problem to configure either it’s all down to your choice 

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Carlton_Router#show running
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2185 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 06:48:33 GMT Sun Jun 17 2018 by admin
!
version 15.5
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no platform punt-keepalive disable-kernel-core
!
hostname Carlton_Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot system flash bootflash:isr4300-universalk9.03.16.07b.S.155-3.S7b-ext.SPA.bin
boot-end-marker
!
!
vrf definition Mgmt-intf
 !
 address-family ipv4
 exit-address-family
 !
 address-family ipv6
 exit-address-family
!
enable secret 5 $1$d2AV$.x62c8AIL9dVKFN/m1Q61.
enable password Bloor
!
no aaa new-model
ethernet lmi global
no process cpu autoprofile hog
clock timezone GMT -5 0
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!

no ip dhcp conflict logging
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.2.245 192.168.2.254
!
ip dhcp pool Carlton
 import all
 network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
 default-router 192.168.2.254
 dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
subscriber templating
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
!
!
!
license udi pid ISR4321/K9 sn FDO21112KP2
!
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
username admin privilege 15 secret 5 $1$w/4P$sd2z6NvcAOHTKWR.QHRzU0
!
redundancy
 mode none
!
!
no cdp run
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 ip address 192.168.2.254 255.255.255.0
 negotiation auto
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
 ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0
 negotiation auto
!
interface GigabitEthernet0
 vrf forwarding Mgmt-intf
 ip address 192.168.2.245 255.255.255.0
 negotiation auto
 no cdp enable
!
interface Dialer1
 ip address negotiated
 ip nat outside
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer pool 1
 ppp authentication chap pap callin
 ppp chap hostname dlftzcr3@bellnet.ca
 ppp chap password 0 nVSLJRc4
 ppp pap sent-username dlftzcr3@bellnet.ca password 0 nVSLJRc4
 no cdp enable
!
interface BDI1
 ip address 192.168.2.254 255.255.255.0
 shutdown
 no cdp enable
!
ip forward-protocol nd
ip http server
ip http authentication local
no ip http secure-server
ip tftp source-interface GigabitEthernet0
!
!
!
snmp-server community public RO
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
 exec-timeout 0 0
 stopbits 1
line aux 0
 stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
 privilege level 15
 login local
 transport input telnet
 transport output telnet
!
!
end

Carlton_Router#

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configuring Bridge Domain Interfaces

BDI doesn't support encapsulation of PPPoE (maybe because PPPoE is already encapsulated).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card