cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any Out-Of-Band Console server recommended?

hxmengmetro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm looking for the out-of-band console  server which I can dial-in when the network is down. What kind of OOB  console server are you guys using? I heard of CDI (Communication Devices  Inc). Is this good?

Lou

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WTI console servers appear not to work with Cisco 9000 switches

Sometimes changing the port to software mode seems to work - I had similar issues with opengear and 2960X switches still I came across this - not sure if WTI have the same.

Steve Waechter
Level 1
Level 1

The most famous were always Shiva and Nortel/Bay Networks.  The world is full of those. They are everywhere, still running.  Even though both of those manufacturers are gone.

3Com, IBM, Perle also had some.

WTI seems to still be in business. Incredible.

I mostly see their PDU products around, I suspect they originally did that RAS (remote access server) product to support their serial connected PDUs.

Lots of WTI's PDUs have Ethernet right on them. But you can get a lot of density in 1U with a big multiport RAS.

dustin.morrison
Level 1
Level 1

WTI makes a variety of out-of-band console servers, including some with both ethernet and a built-in modem for dial-up. Also has FIPS module if you're in to that. There is a reason why WTI is still in business.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

I think it all depends on what you need.

do you need 1 device to be able to be remotely controlled ?

then a us robotics modem I believe is the "standard" out of band device to speak of.

if you need many devices then you can choose an old router that you add alot of serial interfaces to.

or

a computer with usb serial ports there are many different models of usb- serial converters 1-16 ports

and  you can have several of the converters.

or

a network device, ethernet - Serial converters.

Digi does loads of them.

and well OOB is OOB so there are some nice GSM modem solutions if you realy need OOB.

maestro heritage is one of the many that are at your disposal.

but beware of the security issiues when designing a OOB solution.

good luck

HTH

hxmengmetro
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot guys. I have evaluate these recommedations. Really appreciated.

Lou

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card