cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any way to pass VTP config to others Switches in other Routers?

puropuro1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a OSPF topology with three areas and the backbone area.

On few routers of each area I have connected a set of switches running VTP ans RSTP.

So well, what I want to do is share a VLAN on all the switches of the OSPF topology, for instance VLAN 30.

I haven't tried yet because I've done just InterVlan routing by using a Router with SubInterfaces, only sharing the VTP data and Vlan information on the switches connected to that Router, now I'm trying to pass that information to other routers connected to the router that Vlan Manager Router.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dionisio Barboza.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VTP is layer-2, and can't pass through the routers.  Your OSPF boundary is the OSPF areas you already have defined and you can't pass vlan 30 to all the routers.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VTP is layer-2, and can't pass through the routers.  Your OSPF boundary is the OSPF areas you already have defined and you can't pass vlan 30 to all the routers.

HTH

That was my fear, but I hoped a way to pass from L2 to L3 and because I can utilize a router to comunicate different VLAN and I thought I could be able to "Encapsulate" the L2 VTP Administrative Frames to L3 Packets, but that is just a dream!

Thank's for your reply Reza. 

You can tunnel VTP using QnQ.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12-1_13_ea1/configuration/guide/3550scg/swtunnel.html

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card