cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone got NTP working with a Windows 2008 NTP server?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I'm trying to sync the time on our routers and swithces with a Windows 2008R2 server, but it doesn't work.  Has anyone managed to do this:

Config:

ntp master

ntp update-calendar

ntp server 192.168.2.164

sh ntp associations

address         ref clock         st   when   poll   reach    delay    offset     disp
*~127.127.1.1     .LOCL.         7     11     16      377      0.000   0.000      0.225
~192.168.2.164  .INIT.          16      -      1024     0       0.000    0.000    15937.

Windows 2008R2 server

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer]"
"Enabled"=dword:00000001

restart server

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:uk.pool.ntp.org,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
net stop w32time
net start w32time

Doesnt work

Woudl Linux like Ubuntu be better?

Thanks

16 Replies 16

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Think that win 2008 supports ntp version 3 and cisco sends version 4

I tried the same, and with wireshark saw the version mismatch

Jan

If that's the case, you can change your version on the end of the server line:

ntp server 192.168.2.164 version 3

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi,

In IOS, I tried it with callmanager, but this can't be done (it seems)

Windows NTP is very limited (when non MS machine's are involved)

Jan

Jan,

According to this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080a23d02.shtml#wtm

You CANNOT use a Windows server because they use W32Time

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Good to know Alex!

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi,

According to MS, you can setup a Windows 2008 server R2 as a NTP server and NTP client.

On the MS site there is a procedure on how to do this.

I have tried it and I couldn't make it work (long time ago)

I gave up, and I am using an IOS or a Linux device to get the time around to non-MS devices.

Regards,

Jan

Hi,

Here is some light bedtime reading too.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263(v=ws.10).aspx

Looks to me as if W2008 server can be a W32Time server for the AD or Domain etc

But it can only use NTP NET TIME as a client

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I got it all working int he end.  I have around 100 switches getting their NTP from 2 Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise servers which also act as Radius servers.  I have the servers get their data and time from a pool of IP's on the internet.

They have been in 4-5 months now and I have had no issues and the logs to the syslog server all come in show the correct timestamp.

Thanks

It is good that you got it to work. Thank you for posting to the forum to tell us that it now does work. Can you also tell us what you needed to do to get it to work (was it something on the Cisco side or was it something on the Windows side)?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I have put it all in a document at work,  let me copy the info and paste here when I'm back inthe office on Tuesday.  It was a pain, as I expected the switches to update their time and date straight away and thought it wasn't working, so I configured about 10 switches and left them over night across various sites and to my surprise when I checked in the morning they were all working.  I thought it word work almost straight away but NTP doesn't seem to work liked that it seems.  Now I have over 100 switches talking to these 2 servers for NTP and Radius.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Did you post the document you mentioned regarding getting NTP working?

Cheers

Chris

Sorry but this is not true, I have done it with Windows 7 (and believe it can be done with Server 2003 and above).  Please see my post.

I got this working from a cisco 2911 router to Windows 7 computer.

As per many articles, you are missing:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config]"
"AnnounceFlags"=dword:00000005

But the one that allows Cisco kit to Sync is:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config]"
"LocalClockDispersion"=dword:00000000

This article http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/network-time-protocol-ntp/108076-ntp-troubleshoot.html talks about having a root-dispersion higher than 1000ms (1 second) causing Cisco IOS-NTP to unsynchronizes itself.

This article http://htluo.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/ntp-network-time-protocol.html#comment-form was the only one I found that added to the normal enable ntp server registry keys information, stating to change ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\LocalClockDispersion’  from 10 to 0

There was also articles that said that the Windows NTP implementation was version 3, and therefore you had to append ‘version 3’ to the routers ‘ntp server x.x.x.x’ command. This may be perhaps true for earlier windows versions?, but was NOT required for Windows 7.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco