cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anything I should be aware of upgrading a WS-C3560x-48P running 12.2(55)SE5 to 15.0(2)SE11?

wmitchell
Level 1
Level 1

Anything I should be aware of upgrading a WS-C3560x-48P running 12.2(55)SE5 to 15.0(2)SE11? This will be my first production upgrade, and I would like for it to go as smooth as possible. I already have the new bin file loaded on the switch's flash. Thank you very much for any input.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to what Leo said (read the release notes carefully), make sure you make a good copy of the config before any upgrade. From 12.2(55)SE5 to 15.0(2)SE11 is a big jump so, reload time maybe long (up to 20 minutes). There have been cases where the switch had to be disconnected from the power completely and connect again (cold reboot) for the switch to come back online. So, it maybe a good idea to have someone on site when you are doing this.

HTH

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Did anyone read the Release Notes?

Where do I find the Release Notes?

here is the release notes :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/ios-nx-os-software/ios-15-0se/products-release-notes-list.html

as suggested, make sure you upgrade in maintenance window, also take configuration backup out of the box,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to what Leo said (read the release notes carefully), make sure you make a good copy of the config before any upgrade. From 12.2(55)SE5 to 15.0(2)SE11 is a big jump so, reload time maybe long (up to 20 minutes). There have been cases where the switch had to be disconnected from the power completely and connect again (cold reboot) for the switch to come back online. So, it maybe a good idea to have someone on site when you are doing this.

HTH

I have the config backed up offline. I am doing this during an scheduled outage, so I have plenty of time to be offline during this upgrade. I will have other more seasoned co-workers around at the time. But I don't want to burden them with having to hold my hand through this.

as long as it was planned downtime you are good here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

And one more thing, if your product has support, you may want to have TAC on the call while you are doing this.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It's also handy to have actual console access. (I've done such upgrades, remotely using only telnet/SSH but certain information is only visible on the console. If all goes well, "seeing" console isn't needed, but when things don't go well, console information is often invaluable.)

wmitchell
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone for all of your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco