cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are Stackwise cables hot-swappable?

tmpoff
Level 1
Level 1

We have two switches that are stacked together with ONE stackwise cable. I now have another one that I would like to install to add redundancy.

Can I install the cable without powering down the devices?

Do I have to reload the switches to get them to recognize the new cable/path?

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should power them off, install the cable, and power them on. I tried a hot install in the lab and it did not recognize the cable until a reboot.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Yes, you should be able to do with no trouble.

your existing stack have (powered up) with 1 or 2 stack cable, then make sure 1st install the 3rd (new) switch, connect the stack cables making sure its fully secured and then power up the 3rd (new) switch. You should not connect a stack cables between 2 live switches, thats what causes problems. Just make sure when making a stack-connection between w switches, 1 switch must be off-line.

Hope this helps....

Shaheen

Hi,

The switch that you are going to add the to stack must be powered off otherwise it may cause a stack a master re-election and the stack will be reloaded or your config may get lost.

Regards,

Al

Thanks all for the replies. I have my answer.

That wasn't his question. Need to read the question.

"We have two switches that are stacked together with ONE stackwise cable. I now have another one that I would like to install to add redundancy."

He is asking if he can connect the second stacking cable to the existing pair of switches. The answer is YES, you can connect a stacking cable to an existing, running stack. It will be detected and folded into the backplane.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card