cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are subinterfaces supported on Cat6K Sup2T, Cat6880, Cat45K Sup7/8, N7K Sup2, N5624Q?

Hi,

we want to use physical layer 3 interfaces with subinterfaces on several links between Cat6K Sup2T, Cat6880, Cat45K Sup7/8, Nexus7K Sup2, Nexus5624Q platforms.

Does anybody know where I can find information if these platforms support subinterfaces with current ios versions?

When I further use subinterfaces with VLAN tagging, can I use the same VLAN Tag on different physical l3 interfaces?

Best Regards

Thorsten

3 Replies 3

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Thorsten,

I've worked on all the listed platforms, apart from the C6880 (though I think it should be more or less the same), and can be quietly confident to say that they do support the sub-interfaces with vlan tagging.

You can use the same vlan tag on a different sub-interface, I do not see that as being a problem.

The cisco feature navigator is available for you to use, to lookup specific technologies, and find out which hardware platform, with which image supports it.

Hope this helps

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal,

many thanks for your reply, your experience of subinterfaces sounds very well to me ;-)

Use of the same vlan tag on different sub-interfaces of the same physical interface shouldn't work in my eyes because the vlan tag is the only way to distinguish the trafffic on the physical link, correct?

I already had a look at the feature navigator but I didn't find the correct keyword. Just searching for subinterface didn't help because there are only special subinterface features listet but not the general support of subinterfaces.

Hi Thorsten, you can use the vlan tag on multiple sub-interfaces that reside on the same physical interface. As an example you may not want to distinguish traffic, there might have been a reason to use another subnet address or make use of vrf on the sub-interfaces to "join / merge" two environments together via some sort of switch / service provider.

Edit: If you were doing point-to-point connections, i.e. routerA to routerB that is under the same AS, I can't think of a purpose to have them use the same vlan tag on multiple sub interfaces that reside on the same physical interface. (though - I have never tried it before to see what would happen)

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: