cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

arp but no ping on a subinterface. shut/no shut fixes the problem for some time, then it gets stuck again

Hey guys, 

I have this weird problem: I have two VLANs coming from the same port of the same device. One VLAN periodically becomes unreachable, no ping. If i do shut/no shut on the switch, that fixes the problem. After  a few days, it pops up again. When the subinterface is unreachable, ARP is visible and if i delete the mac addr. from the arp table, it show up. 

when this VLAN is stuck, if i connect another device (a laptop) to another port and drop connection to that laptop in that VLAN instead of traffic that usually runs in it, the laptop is pinged and reachable. If i drop back the subnet that runs there regularly, i am unable to ping. 

no firewalls in between.

anybody have any ideas?

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check your switch logs (show logging) at the time of the problem.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not have enough information to be able to give good advice about this issue. You mention a switch and you talk about subinterfaces which suggests a router. Can you provide clarification about what devices these are? And can you provide details of how the interfaces involved in this are configured?

Am I understanding correctly that when this problem occurs that the mac address of a remote device shows up in the arp table. And am I correct in understanding that if your do clear arp, that the mac address of the remote device immediately shows up in the arp table?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card