Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP Issue

mudvayne15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone, 

I have a problem with our VPN server connected to our switch. The 10.65.20.170 is not replying to arp/ping from the switch but it is reachable from our Firewall. 

There are other VM's running on the same Gig0/11 port and the switch can ping to it without any issue. Only the VPN server as stated below is having an issue.

I already checked the server's subnet mask and it is correct. Any advice? 

diag1.JPG

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Can you give more details about L3 interfaces on the switch and firewall from which you're sourcing your pings?
What is the model of your firewall server?
Is there any firewall and/or acl filtering traffic?
Can you run any capture on this vpn server?

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco, 

Thanks for getting back to me on this. The L3 interfaces belong to VLAN1, there is not much anything to see to it. 

Firewall is Juniper SSG and I'm not sure if I can pull any logs to the VPN yet.

Is it possible that there's some configuration problem in the VPN server? Since it is a VM that runs on Linux, the other servers looks fine.

Only the connection between the VPN server and the Switch. 

check if there Server have FW that drop ping.
try ping from server itself to GW.

Are your servers and the FW attached to same port-group on ESXi? Is the load sharing set the same?
When the fw is replying, can you share the show mac add command output and show ip arp as well please? Then when it's not working, take again both outputs and share them please.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

mudvayne15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone, thanks for your inputs. We have tried to move the server to another physical port however looks like it's the same. 

I have attached the Sw1 and Sw6 configuration and still cannot figure out what may cause the issue. There are other servers on the port of Sw6 and Sw1 can ping it aside from 10.65.20.170. 

Switch 2, 5, and 6 where the server is located can ping the server just fine. The spanning-tree does not block any port from Sw1 or Switch 6.

sw-1#show arp | i 10.65.20.170
Internet  10.65.20.170           19   da03.2e49.839a  ARPA   Vlan1

sw-1#show cdp nei
Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                  S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone
Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID
sw-2.net
                 Gig 0/23          164          R S I     WS-C3560E Gig 0/24
gw-2.net
                 Gig 0/24          179          R S I     2801      Fas 0/3/3
sw-6.net
                 Ten 0/1           173          R S I     WS-C3750X Ten 1/1/1
sw-1#
sw-6#show cdp nei
Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                  S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone,
                  D - Remote, C - CVTA, M - Two-port Mac Relay
Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID
sw-7.net
                 Gig 1/0/24        150             R S I  WS-C3750- Fas 1/0/48
sw-1.net
                 Ten 1/1/1         136             R S I  WS-C3560E Ten 0/1
sw-5.net
                 Gig 1/0/11        165             R S I  WS-C3750X Gig 1/0/12

SG Switch issue.JPG

Update: As per our Sys Admin, he can ping from the Physical Server to Sw1. 

Can you make sure sw1 is the root for spanning-tree?

Also if you follow the destination mac address from sw1, what is the path to reach it?

And if you do the invert, from sw6 to reach back mac address of source on sw1, what is the path?

So if I understand you, everything works fine except when you want to reach the VPN server? Have you done a SPAN on sw6 to see if packets are arring to VPN server and also coming back?

Thanks
Francesco

I will explain you the L2, 
first here the Server is not config with any VLAN so it will take VLAN native VLAN1.
NOW VLAN 1 in SW-1 have correct subnet 10.65.20.1 that OK 

so the frame is take L2 from SW-6 to SW-1,

NOW the issue in SW-1 with static route for 10.65.20.0 !!!
this SW is L3SW and have SVI for VLAN 1 so why it need this static route ?

You have a static route on your sw1 for your vpn server that is sitting on the same vlan?

Is there any svi vlan 1 on other switches? What is the default gateway of this server?

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco