Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP & mac address entries

SpongeRob
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Under what circumstance would a mac-address show up in the arp tables but not in the mac-address table?  when I look at the arp table for an particular address is has a corresponding mac-add, when I show mac-add | i mac-add it does not show!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, it should.

As your device should send an ARP request and get an ARP response to fill the ARP cache entry again at the moment it needs to send any data to the end device.

HTH,

Milan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

don't forget the ARP cache timer is 4 hours by default, while forwarding MAC table timer is 5 minutes!

So if the end device was not sending any traffic for last 5 minutes, the entry is removed from the MAC address table.

But it remains in the ARP cache much longer!

HTH,

Milan

Thanks Milan - if I clear arp and it is again in the arp table should it then be in the mac-add table ?

Yes, it should.

As your device should send an ARP request and get an ARP response to fill the ARP cache entry again at the moment it needs to send any data to the end device.

HTH,

Milan

Milan thanks for the replies.  Evidently it is an Avaya phone system that "we are not suppose to see", however immediately following a clear arp it is in the arp table yet absent from the mac-addr.

Best Regards,

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

ARP stand for address resolutions protocol. Arp convert Mac add to Ip add. RARP just opposite to arp.

---

Posted by WebUser Awnish Kumar

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

ARP maintains a list of both IP addresses and matching MAC addresses called the ARP cache. These caches are available on individual network adapters

---

Posted by WebUser Awnish Kumar

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card