Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP not renewed at switch port

I have some printers that when show problem and we have to replace, the MAC-to-IP mapping remains at core and even when deleting manually it doens't work. If we use a different IP address at same network it works perfectly. After a lot of time (believe about 4 hours that is the time those informations are holded at core) it works normally but never at first moment.

My Equipments: Core: 6506 and Edge: 4509.

Equipment that shows problem: Barcode Printer Toshiba SX5T-7S12-QQ.

Rds,

Alexandre

2 Replies 2

ralphcarter
Level 1
Level 1

It seems like what your talking about is that you cannot connect to the printer right away but after you do then its fine for a while?

What I would try is manually setting the static mac-address entry for the printer. Go to the switch that directly connects the printer and set the static mac-address entry and map it to the port.

# mac-address-table static mac interface vlan id

Try it, see if it helps

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com

Hi,

What happnes is that when for some reason the printer is replaced for an exactly same model, even if I clear the MAC from Core switches it doesn't reply or remap the new MAC for the same IP address used. If I use a new address it works perfectly. If I wait some hours (4 to refresh the CAM at Core) it works.

the problem is that printer are mapped at application and changing IP address isn't an easy action.

Rds,

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card