Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA will not pull DHCP address from Frontier Fiber

I started this topic here, I hope this is correct.

We changed ISP services yesterday and I love how Frontier is delivering a true FTTH(Fiber to the Home).  Once the account is activated you simple plug the network cable into their NVG or you can connect directly to a device.  Everything works GREAT except for the Cisco ASA.  It will NOT pull the DHCP address.  I have no routing set, interface is set to dhcp.  If I connect to their NVG(setup as a router) it will pull an internal address.  If I set the NVG to bridge mode, the ASA doesn't get an IP.  I then can plug directly to my laptop, boom online.  Back to ASA, well you get the point.

Any ideas why the ASA will not pull an IP.  What is different on the Cisco ASA on how it request for DHCP from the NVG(NVG468MQ in routing mode) or my laptop that is able to obtain an IP?

24 Replies 24

From the black box the ASA gets a DHCP request from the frontier device it doesn't.  But my laptop and the NVG gets a public address.20210909_185255069_iOS.jpg20210909_185307740_iOS.jpg

Hello,

I cannot really see what model your MoCA is, but I think it has a web GUI that lets you login and adjust various settings. Try IP address 192.168.254.254 and username 'admin' password 'cambridge'

With the ASA connected, do you see that device in the 'MoCA Link State' status page at all ?

There is no login to the MoCA.  The IP you used is from the internal IP from the NVG.

From the NVG I did find this information.

Ethernet Devices:1
Wireless Devices:0
MoCA Devices:0

Hello,

I was looking at the video below (it is for goCoax, but I think the MoCA is similar to the one you have), and at the 11:17 marker he has a GUI for the MoCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM3nmQdfy5Q&t=937s

He also talks about the cable length, and that a very short cable might not work. If you have a long cable available, try and connect that to the ASA. It remains strange that a laptop would pull DHCP, but the ASA would not. You could also try the settings below on the ASA interface:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

-->  media-type ?

--> speed ?

--> duplex ?

--> flowcontrol ?

Also I found this information:

Advanced - Coax (MoCA)

MoCA PHY Status:Down
MoCA PHY Enable:Enable Disable 
MoCA Privacy:Enable Disable 
Network Password:
Show Network Password:  
Beacon Power Reduction (dB): 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0 7.0 8.0 9.0 10.0               
Network Controller:Enable Disable
MAC Address:80:e5:40

Outside interface settings:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
nameif outside
security-level 0
ip address dhcp setroute

Hello

@Grant-Security/Network Analyst wrote:

Any ideas why the ASA will not pull an IP.  What is different on the Cisco ASA on how it request for DHCP from the NVG(NVG468MQ in routing mode) or my laptop that is able to obtain an IP?

Before you set to bridge mode, check the dhcp scope allocation on this NVG device , if you see any listing, delete it and then change to bridge mode and try the asa once more

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Ok, I have it working on the ASA now.  I put the NVG in transparent mode.  Now I am good with that, I still don't understand why the laptop will connect but not the ASA directly. What is the NVG doing that is allowing it to get an IP?

Based on what Paul said I wonder if a straight through cable is needed based on this think?

MDI vs MDIX And Auto MDI/MDIX Basics | FS Community

Now that you have it in transparent mode, are you receiving an DHCP lease that has a public IP or are you pulling a private IP. I am having the exact same issue with laptops pulling dhcp without issue and my asa 5540 wont. I don't want to run a router in front of my asa due to double NATing but curious regarding the transparent mode. 

Frontier uses VLAN0 (priority queuing). I run their Ethernet copper to a 2960x with this port config:

interface GigabitEthernet0/25
description >>> ASA outside <<<
switchport access vlan 999
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast edge
interface GigabitEthernet0/26
description >>> Frontier ONT <<<
switchport access vlan 999
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan dot1p
spanning-tree portfast edge

and