Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Catalyst 3K Series Update

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Catalyst 3K Series Update with Dan Schnour - Read the bioWith Dan Schnour

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions of Cisco expert Dan Schnour about the Catalyst 3k series update.

Dan Schnour is the product manager for the Catalyst 3K. He has held this position for the past three years. Schnour has years of hardware engineering experience. He holds a bachelor's degree in electronics engineering from the Technion University in Israel and an MBA degree from Cornell University.

Remember to use the rating system to let Dan know if you have received an adequate response. 

Dan might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Infrastructure sub community discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through March 22, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members. 

37 Replies 37

ELENA OKULOVA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

regarding UPoE, please share plans on supporting it by Catalyst 3850.

Will new, higher capacity power supplies be launched?

(i.e. for 24-port PoE model, if loaded with a currently available 1100WAC powersupply,  switch will take approximately 280 watts for itself, leaving 34Watt per port, but not 60Watts...). How it will behave if loaded with two such power supplies? Will it allow 60 Watts per port, if the software allows, or must it be upgraded to 1720WAC power supply?

Hi- there are plans to release a UPOE version with the same power supplies.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, please clarify - UPoE will be able to draw power from both power supplies (1100WAC + 1100WAC), or second power supply is only for redundancy.

Thank you!

biziorek13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm currently researching Catalyst 3850 to potentially use in our data center and I have two questions:

1. Does Cat3850 guarantee line-speed, no oversubscription between any ports when four switches are stacked up?

2. Where I can find in-depth architecture description ?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi- the 3850 is line-rate and there won't be any oversubscribtion on the backplane in and stacking configuration (4 or 9 switches).

Thanks,

Dan

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Dan Schnour wrote:

Hi- the 3850 is line-rate and there won't be any oversubscribtion on the backplane in and stacking configuration (4 or 9 switches).

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, could you further explain how StackWise-480 could not be oversubscribed with three or more 48 port 3850s with 4x10g?  Normally fabrics need to be 2x all port bandwidths.  I.e. 3 x 176 Gbps = 528 Gbps > 480 Gbps?

Table 7. Cisco Catalyst 3850 Performance Specifications

Performance Numbers for All Switch Models

Switching capacity

176 Gbps on 48-port models

88 Gbps on 24-port models

Stacking bandwidth

480 Gbps

HUBERT RESCH
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, heard  view months ago that EVN Easy Virtual Network which is currently supported on C4K5 will come on the Cat3750-x, 3650-x series. I am stil missing this feature, any idea when it will be available? Same question or the new 3850.

Thx

Hubert

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I've got a 3560-X and 3560-C switch which ships with a USB style console as well as the tranditional RJ series console port.

However I am running Windows 8 on my desktop and laptop, and there are no drivers for the Cisco USB Consoles for Windows 8 yet as far as I can tell.  The Windows 7 drivers don't work under Windows 8.

Can you please find out when these will be made available?   Modern laptops don't have serial ports, but it seems rather retrograde to have to go back to using a USB-Serial converter simply because Cisco haven't released any drivers for the USB Consoles yet on the most recent published Microsoft operating systems.

Thanks,

Reuben

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card