cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Configuring and Troubleshooting Virtual Switching System (VSS)

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Managing Controllers with Cisco Prime™With Anand Ganesan

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about how to monitor, configure, and troubleshoot the Virtual Switching System (VSS) in Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches with expert Anand Ganesan.

VSS is network system virtualization technology that pools multiple Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches into one virtual switch, increasing operational efficiency, boosting nonstop communications, and scaling system bandwidth capacity to 1.4 Tbps. At the initial phase, a VSS will allow two physical Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches to operate as a single logical virtual switch called a virtual switching system 1440 (VSS1440). 

For more information, visit:  www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html

The VSS simplifies network configuration and operation by reducing the number of Layer 3 routing neighbors and by providing a loop-free Layer 2 topology.

Anand Ganesan is a customer support engineer in the High-Touch Technical Service team at Cisco specializing in switching protocols. He has been supporting major service providers and enterprise customers in switching and all other switching technologies for more than two years with Cisco. He has a total of eight years of experience in the IT industry. He holds a bachelor of engineering degree from Bharathiyar University, Coimbatore.

Remember to use the rating system to let Anand know if you have received an adequate response. 

Because of the volume expected during this event, Anand might not be able to answer every question. Remember that you can continue the conversation in the Network Infrastructure subcommunity, LAN Switching & Routing shortly after the event. This event lasts through September 6, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other Cisco Support Community members.

33 Replies 33

Hi RB,

Sorry for the inconvenience !

I have attached the white paper (pdf) for your kind reference.

Thanks,

Anand G.

Ayub
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anand

Can we use two fast hello links between two chasis becouse i am going to put 4 links in vss from two modules (supervisor engine and uplink module) with in a chasi to other same side supervisor and uplink  modules ? like i want to make one Fast hello from one side supervisor's with other side chasi supervisor and one fast hello between uplink module with other chasi uplink module ? can we achive VSS like this ?  and Fast Hello ?

Let me more clear for you

In each chasi i have one C6807-XL-S2T-BUN -  two WS-X6824-SFP-2T - and one C6800-8P10G.

Now my VSS is configured between C6800-8P10G on both chasis and Fast hello is configured on C6807-XL-S2T-BUN on same both sides.

What i want to achive is in attachment. is this possible ?

s.daoudi
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,
I have VSS switch 6500, I want to know how we can monitor both activ and standby switch
In fact, in solarwinds we can see information (CPU, memory ...) about only one switch and I don't know it concerns wich one.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card