cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: NGWC (3850/5760): Architecture and Deployment

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about NGWC (3850/5760): Architecture and Deployment.

Ask questions from Monday, April 13th, 2015 to Friday, April 24th, 2015

This Ask the Expert Session will cover questions spanning NGWC products (3850/5760) on Implementation and Deployment from the Wired and Wireless perspective. This will be more specific to Customer’s and Partners questions covering 3850/5760 configuration, Implementation and deployment.

Dhiresh Yadav is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS)  handling supporting Wireless and Network Management based Cisco products and is based in Bangalore. His areas of expertise include Cisco Wireless CUWN and NGWC Product line. He has over 7 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and service provider networks. He also holds CCNP (RS) and CCIE (DC-Written) and CCIE Wireless certification.

Naveen Venkateshaiah is working as a Customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS) handling  and supporting Lan-switching and Data center Products. His areas of expertise include Catalyst 3k,4k , 6500 , Nexus 7k Platform  He has over 7 years of industry experience working with large Enterprise and Service Provider networks. He also holds CCNA, CCNP (RS) and  CCDP-ARCH,CCIE-R&S Written, AWLANFE, LCSAWLAN Certification.

Find other  https://supportforums.cisco.com/expert-corner/events.

**Ratings Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

38 Replies 38

Hi,

Can you brief me how this software architecture is on the 3850 differ from 3750.?

Rgds

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

If you have a look into  3750, you had the IOS running as a monolithic operating system, and basically everything on the module drivers, everything had to be bunched inside the IOS. So when we look into to a multicore architecture we leveraged the Linux kernel and decided to modularize the IOS demon, and take out some of those components.

So this is how we have done it, it’s a Linux kernel and then we took out all these  hardware drivers and management interface and some common infrastructure, licensing,high availability, and all those services. And we took them all off the IOS demon, and we have the feature components and the IOS running as our demon inside the Linux kernel, and this gives us the ability to do hosted applications. Example: wireless module will  run as a hosted app inside, in a different space, but  inside the Linux kernel.  

We built a IOS XE image , on 3850, and the look and feel is exactly the same  as IOS, so it is  not a new IOS for the customers to learn ,We have few CLI Differences and IOS-XE naming conventions.

To Understand more on IOS-XE below is the link ,  

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-3sg/QA_C67-622903.html

Please Let me know if I am able to answer your question/concern.

Regards,

Naveen Venkateshaiah.

In which IOS-XE code supports universal mode AP (eg AIR-AP3702I-UX) to register to a WLC without priming to a country code?

As per below in AireOS it is supported in 8.x codes

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/AP_Regulatory_Domain_DG/b_universal_AP_regulatory_domain_DG.html

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

hmm..thats an interesting question...unfortunately for me as well..:)

I am from TAC , so normally not involved in  coming attractions. TMEs/BU have that information. However I have already reached out to my Internal team to see if I can get an approximate answer but given that there is no TAC case sent with the request, there is no ETA for the reply but I am hopeful of getting the reply. I will communicate that to you when I hear back form the team.

Regards

Dhiresh

Thanks for honest feedback.

I will wait for some response from you once you hear back from TME/BU

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

ok..So this Universal mode AP support is present in 3.7.0 code already on CCO. I could not find that in the Release notes..but it is given here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/ux-ap/guide/uxap-mobapp-g.html#pgfId-105133

see FAQ section on the last page of this link.

Regards

Dhiresh

**Ratings encourage participation**

Thanks for the link with required info

Rasika

John Ventura
Level 1
Level 1

How many PoE device the WS-C3850- can support?

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

The Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches support PoE+ (IEEE 802.3at standard), which provides up to 30W of power per port.

WS-C3850-24P and WS-C3850-48P both support 24 to 48 ports of PoE. With the default 715W power supply, they can support up to 435W of PoE.

WS-C3850-48F can support up to 800W of PoE with the defaut 1100WAC power supply.

Below is the Data Sheet Link where you can get other power settings and DC options with PoE:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

Let me know if I am able to answer your question correctly.

Regards,
Naveen Venkateshaiah.

Hi,

is Power supply of 3850 switches is it similar to cat 3750 or other catalyst 3k switches

Rgds

Hi,

The power supply, it’s the same design and you know, the same as in the 3K. But the product ID is different for the 3850. You can replace the power supply of the 3850 with the 3750 excess if you have any.

Only thing which I wanted to point out is the StackPower remains the same, but you cannot form Stack Power pools consisting of 3750-X, 3750, and 3850, the module number has to be the same. You have the four different versions of the power supply, the 350 watt, 715 and 1100 watt ACs, in the AC range, and then we have the 440 DC. So the 1100 watt will give you full POE+ capabilities on all the ports.

In 3850 we can configure power supply in Power sharing mode and redundant mode,in redundant mode it has feature called reserved power where in it collects all of the power available in the stack-from all power supplies in the stack and and then subtracts an amount of power that it keeps in reserve ,if any one on the PS fails in a power stack  when its configured as redundant mode ,reserved power comes in to picture ,the entire amount of reserved power will be used.

Please find Data sheet for your reference.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

Regards,

Naveen Venkateshaiah

Regards,
Naveen Venkateshaiah.

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12472861/ask-expert-ngwc-38505760-architecture-and-deployment#sthash.olwpqRXs.dpuf

Regards,
Naveen Venkateshaiah.

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12472861/ask-expert-ngwc-38505760-architecture-and-deployment#sthash.olwpqRXs.dpuf

From AireOS 8.1 onward, AireOS (5508, WiSM2) cannot be a MC for 3850/3650 MA switches.

What would be the advice to customers who are using AireOS WLC as MC in their network ?

Still cisco says mix mode (Converged access & Centralized-AireOS) roaming is supported. With feature disparity between those two platforms (CA & AireOS), would smooth client roam (security, avc profile, qos,etc) possible between those two systems going forward ? Can you explain bit in detail

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

Thanks for the question and I will try to answer this in general.

Can I request you to limit the questions based on the images/hardware which is already on CCO/market ?

Few reasons:

> There is be a big team of BU developers and TMEs which might have participated actively in deciding and developing and testing the 8.1 features but it is not appropriate to disclose that untill the features are finalized and released. For example this 8.1 feature, Aireos not MC of MA , there must be definitely some intention to do that but the information is only limited to BU at the moment.

> As we said that we (TAC) dont pay much attention to coming attractions untill it hits CCO. Another major factor is that there is no guarantee that a feature would be present/absent when the actual  code hits the CCO.It might hit but in a changed way, So in a way its outside the policy also to discuss something in detail which might or might not be true.

Hope you understand this TAC limitation.

Just trying to answer this question in general , if the feature is really going to hit the CCO , I  think  roaming would be possible.If the AireOS WLCs support hierarchical mobility and  PMK might be shared among mobility controllers (5760 and 5508 for eample ) then 4 way handshake would happen.(security, avc profile, qos,etc) configuration for the SSID will have to be consistent between both the controllers.If there is some parameter which can not be passed to the target controller then that should be ignored. This problem is sometime present even when  roaming between two CA controllers and controllers dont have consistent configuration. For example some acl , say test, configured differently on two CA controllers. The client will roam and work according to the new controller policy configured for that wlan. To come out of these situations ,you have "Sticky anchoring/roaming" .If enabled on the wlan , there off course the question of QOS ,security etc doesnt arise at all even if the configuration is not consistent/compatible as Point of presence will be at anchor while Point of attachment will only move to Foriegn. I am not sure if the 8.1 on the WLC side will have feature.

"What would be the advice to customers who are using AireOS WLC as MC in their network ?"

If they have decided to remove AireOS wlc as MC ..then only option is to configure 5760 and 3850 as MC.

Again as I said , currently people involved in developing and deciding the feature (BU , TME making announcements ) can answer the intentions officially. I would be able to answer all type of questions till 8.0.115.0 currently and about 8.1 which is a major release laden with dozens of features, at CCO.

Hope this make sense.

Regards

Dhiresh

Thanks for detail response & I understand you point of view here.

From deployment perspective these are the things end user should know prior to scoping wireless project with converged access (need to know what's coming soon).

It is always good if Cisco could put mix of resources (BU/TME) in this sort of session.

Rasika

Hi Rasik,

Thanks for the comment.

I will provide that feedback to the moderator.

Regards

Dhiresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco