Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1002-F Router Management Port Use

ewells1492
Level 1
Level 1

Hello/Greetings

Question for you. I have an ASR 1002-F Router. With the standard 4-Port 1GB SFP ports. Management Port and Console Port.

Wondering if anyone knows or are using the Management port for something other than management.

Here is my scenario. I need to setup a (2-Port) Port-Channel to my 3750X Switch. I have 2 SPFs for that purpose.

Plan to use ports G0/0/0 & G0/0/1.

But I also need to setup a port for my Gigabit Internet Circuit. The Management Port (as far as the documentation is concerned) is a standard RJ-45 Ethernet port capable of 10/100/1000. So I was wondering, can this port be used/configured for that purpose (This would eliminate the need for a 3rd SFP). Can this port be used for an Internet Circuit? Has anyone else used this port for anything other than Management and was successful ?

Or would it be best/easier if we just purchased a 3rd SPFs and used G0/0/2 for our Internet Circuit

Please share your experience/recommendations/Advice

Thanks a bunch

Cheers

Please share your experience and findings 

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Cannot say for 100% sure, but although the management port, assuming it could be use as an ordinary port, would not support the throughput of the "normal" data ports. Yea, even though it's 10/100/1000, the hardware behind it probably would not support any sustained high data rates. So, you're probably better off using one of the "standard" data ports.

What you might consider, is using a trunk (on switch - subinterfaces on ASR) on one or more of your ASR data ports (perhaps even the Etherchannel).
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card