cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR Failover

kylehash
Level 1
Level 1

traffic is sent to ASR1 as it's booting up but no traffic is getting through since it hasn't fully come up. We want to have it routed through ASR2 until ASR1 is fully booted up. please let me know what I can do to accomplish this. We use ASAs 

10 Replies 10

sorry ASR or ASA ?

ASR my bad

kylehash
Level 1
Level 1

Made a mistake it is a ASR not ASA

Can you provide a diagram of how and to what the ASRs connected?

Are they providing Internet connectivity? Do you have one or multiple ISPs?

HTH

they are not providing internet connectivity, We do not have a ISPs.

The ASR is connected to another ASR, one ASR is called ASR1, and the other is ASR2 then off of ASR1 is CS1 and off ASR2 is CS2 the point of ASR1 and ASR2  is to have a backup ASR in case ASR1 was to fail. all connect to each other. the issue we want to fix is to reduce the amount of video downtime that occurs when ASR1 is booting up. The Solution should force the network traffic to be routed over ASR2 until ASR1 is fully operational again. Right now we have a latency issue when ASR1 goes down it takes 20-30 seconds for ASR2 to take over, then when ASR1 starts to bootup and is fully opertational it takes another 20-30 seconds for it to take control back. We are trying to reduce this failover time because we want to keep our mGRE tunnel functional at all times with little to none downtime as the ASRs' are doing their failover.

so ASR1 and ASR2 is run DMVPN mGRE tunnel?
if Yes then solution need more work can I see config of tunnel interface ?

it is a mGRE tunnel, That tunnel goes to another Router that they both connect to, ASR 1 and ASR2 is connected via ethernet.

So let summary what happened here 
1- mGRE from both ASR1 and ASR2 toward Spoke Router
2- the mGRE use to advertise the prefix to Spoke Router 
3- the Spoke router must failover between ASR1 and ASR2 when one of them failed to advertise the prefix 
am I correct ?

yes you are.

so we have these ways
1- run BFD multi Hop (if it support with mGRE)
2- run keep alive (if it support with mGRE)
3- run IP SLA track with EEM, the action will remove Tunnel to ASR1/2 depend in status of track UP/Down
that way Spoke router can fast detect mGRE tunnel and withdraw any prefix learn from tunnel

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card