Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1001-x licensing

lorenzo limardo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to understand the following points on the license of ASR1001-x.

According to this documentation, looks like that all the licenses are HONOR BASED starting from 3.7S

Is this valid for all, technology throughput license and 10 GIGA license?

What if is added a third SPA card 10 GIGA SPA-1x10GE-L-V2? would the license be  RTU RIGHT TO USE?

in my case, i am still in eval period, and would like to be regular for ASR1001-X 20 GB throughput, + 3 10 GIGA connections.

Thanks a lot for the support.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig-book/router_license_verify.html

10-GE Interface Evaluation License Features

When the 60-Day Evaluation Period expires, the license automatically changes to an RTU license. As with all other RTU licenses, there is no functionality disruption or accessibility concerns following this transition.
There can be only one active interface_10g license. Either the Permanent License or the EvalRTU License can be Active, but not both.
As with past license implementations, the Permanent license is of higher precedence than the built-in EvalRTU license. However, when the Permanent license does not have enough port-count (that is, when the user requests both built-in 10GE ports but the Permanent License only allows for one port), the license priority changes between the Permanent and Evaluation licenses. In this case, the Evaluation License becomes Active since it can accommodate both ports. The Permanent License will automatically become Active if and when its port-count meets the user’s desired configuration.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig-book/router_license_verify.html

Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers Ordering Guide

All Cisco ASR 1000 feature and performance upgrade licenses are honor-based; that is, they are not enforced through a PAK (Product Activation Key).

Note: Prior to Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.7S, performance upgrade licenses that are required to upgrade the Cisco ASR 1001 from 2.5 to 5 Gbps or the Cisco ASR 1002-X from 5 to 10 to 20 to 36 Gbps are enforced through a PAK. Similarly, prior to Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.6S, technology package licenses are enforced through a PAK. [1]

- When the 60-Day Evaluation Period expires, the license automatically changes to an RTU license. As with all other RTU licenses, there is no functionality disruption or accessibility concerns following this transition. [2]

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi lorenzo!

I am not in tune with asr1k licensing, but I forwarded your question/link to the product management group for this platform to see if they can rewview and respond to your inquiry!

cheers

xander

View solution in original post

Thanks a lot Xander, useful as usual, you deserve 5 stars rating.

Now looking forward to have your colleagues ASR1000 answer for another 5 star rating.

Thaks again to you all.

Lo

csluo@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Lo,

On ASR1001-X, for evaluation purpose, you don't need to purchase the 20Gbps throughput license; you can simply enable the built-in 20Gbps throughput license and the 2x 10GE port licenses.

For production deployment, you would need to purchase the licenses; you only need to purchase the 20Gbps throughput license because you got the 2x 10GE port licenses for free when you do so.

You don't need any license to run 1x10GE SPA in ASR1001-X because you have already paid for the SPA. However, please note that you now have 3x 10GE connections, but the max throughput of ASR1001-X is 20Gbps; this means you won't get linerate for all 3x 10GE connections.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Chengsheng

26 Replies 26

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi lorenzo!

I am not in tune with asr1k licensing, but I forwarded your question/link to the product management group for this platform to see if they can rewview and respond to your inquiry!

cheers

xander

Thanks a lot Xander, useful as usual, you deserve 5 stars rating.

Now looking forward to have your colleagues ASR1000 answer for another 5 star rating.

Thaks again to you all.

Lo

csluo@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Lo,

On ASR1001-X, for evaluation purpose, you don't need to purchase the 20Gbps throughput license; you can simply enable the built-in 20Gbps throughput license and the 2x 10GE port licenses.

For production deployment, you would need to purchase the licenses; you only need to purchase the 20Gbps throughput license because you got the 2x 10GE port licenses for free when you do so.

You don't need any license to run 1x10GE SPA in ASR1001-X because you have already paid for the SPA. However, please note that you now have 3x 10GE connections, but the max throughput of ASR1001-X is 20Gbps; this means you won't get linerate for all 3x 10GE connections.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Chengsheng

Thanks a lot, really helpful, will do this

Hello guys,

I have to license 10G ports on Cisco ASR1001-X router.

I've never done it before and I could not find procedure on internet ?

Can you please paste me commands on how to do this ?

I have PAK keys for doing this procedure.

Can you provide some insights ?

Thanks!

Hello.

Can you tell me please, what license did you buy for the 10g port?

Hi,

I have transitioned to another team within Cisco, therefore no longer cover ASR1K; the best way is to send email to mailer: ask-asr1000-pm@cisco.com

Thanks,

Chengsheng

Hello,

this email is invalid ask-asr1000-pm@cisco.com

Hi, 

Sorry about that; that mailer maybe is for Cisco internal use only; please use this one instead: cs-asr1000@cisco.com

Thanks,

Chengsheng

Hi there, 

I've come over that thread while trying to install and activate a 20g_througput license on a ASR1001-X. But I did not succeed until now, although I reloaded multiple times. 

On the problematic ASR1001-X, I am running "bootflash:/asr1001x-universalk9.16.06.02.SPA.bin" (Everest), and even after reloading and configuring the correct boot level, it keeps saying: 

"Index 31 Feature: throughput_20g
Period left: Life time
License Type: Permanent
License State: Active, Not in Use"

^^^^^^^^^^

=> which is confirmed that I do not run the 20g because: 

"asr1001-x#show platform hardware throughput level
The current throughput level is 2500000 kb/s"

whereas on another, older ASR1001-X, that is running "bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.03.13.03.S.154-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin", the throughput license works fine: 

"Index 31 Feature: throughput_20g
Period left: Life time
License Type: RightToUse
License State: Active, In Use"

"asr1001-x#show platform hardware throughput level

The current throughput level is 20000000 kb/s"

=> Both ASRs are running adventerprise. 

Has anyone hit the same error here? The only difference I see is the IOS XE Version, is there a bug I do not find? 

Thanks and best regards, 

Stefan

Hi, Stefan,

Your ASR1001-X running 3.13.3 shows correctly the throughput license level.

Your ASR1001-X running 16.6.2 is showing 2.5Gbps (2500000 kb/s) as the current throughput level which is the default, and your 20Gbps permanent throughput license is installed but not activated yet. you need to put this command in your running-config to activate this license:

platform hardware throughput level 20000000

Thanks,

Chengsheng

Hi Chengsheng, 

thanks a lot, couldn't find that command anywhere. 

Now it works! Thanks a lot. 

Best regards, 

Stefan

One more question: I still have the "interface_10g" as EvalRightToUse License in there, although I thought these license were included in the 20G_Throughput License: 

Index 33 Feature: interface_10g
Period left: 5 weeks 5 days
Period Used: 2 weeks 5 days
License Type: EvalRightToUse
License State: Active, In Use
License Count: 2/0 (In-use/Violation)
License Priority: Low

Is there anything else I have to configure to change that? 

Thanks and best regards, 

Stefan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco