Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1001-x licensing

lorenzo limardo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to understand the following points on the license of ASR1001-x.

According to this documentation, looks like that all the licenses are HONOR BASED starting from 3.7S

Is this valid for all, technology throughput license and 10 GIGA license?

What if is added a third SPA card 10 GIGA SPA-1x10GE-L-V2? would the license be  RTU RIGHT TO USE?

in my case, i am still in eval period, and would like to be regular for ASR1001-X 20 GB throughput, + 3 10 GIGA connections.

Thanks a lot for the support.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig-book/router_license_verify.html

10-GE Interface Evaluation License Features

When the 60-Day Evaluation Period expires, the license automatically changes to an RTU license. As with all other RTU licenses, there is no functionality disruption or accessibility concerns following this transition.
There can be only one active interface_10g license. Either the Permanent License or the EvalRTU License can be Active, but not both.
As with past license implementations, the Permanent license is of higher precedence than the built-in EvalRTU license. However, when the Permanent license does not have enough port-count (that is, when the user requests both built-in 10GE ports but the Permanent License only allows for one port), the license priority changes between the Permanent and Evaluation licenses. In this case, the Evaluation License becomes Active since it can accommodate both ports. The Permanent License will automatically become Active if and when its port-count meets the user’s desired configuration.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig-book/router_license_verify.html

Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers Ordering Guide

All Cisco ASR 1000 feature and performance upgrade licenses are honor-based; that is, they are not enforced through a PAK (Product Activation Key).

Note: Prior to Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.7S, performance upgrade licenses that are required to upgrade the Cisco ASR 1001 from 2.5 to 5 Gbps or the Cisco ASR 1002-X from 5 to 10 to 20 to 36 Gbps are enforced through a PAK. Similarly, prior to Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.6S, technology package licenses are enforced through a PAK. [1]

- When the 60-Day Evaluation Period expires, the license automatically changes to an RTU license. As with all other RTU licenses, there is no functionality disruption or accessibility concerns following this transition. [2]

26 Replies 26

Hi, Stefan,

The "interface_10g" license is for the built-in 10GE port - this license would enable the 10GE built-in port for you; there are two of such licenses per ASR1001-X because there are two built-in 10GE ports; they have nothing to do with the throughput license which is for the total system throughput.

Thanks,

Chengsheng

Hi Chengsheng, 

I found another thread, where You say: 

"For production deployment, you would need to purchase the licenses; you only need to purchase the 20Gbps throughput license because you got the 2x 10GE port licenses for free when you do so."

(https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/asr1001-x-licensing/td-p/3307657)

How could I activate or get the free 2X10G licenses after I installed the 20g_throughput? 

Thanks 
Stefan

Hi, Stefan,

When/if you purchased the 20Gbps performance upgrade license for ASR1001-X, you should already have received 2 additional 10GE port licenses, either pre-installed by our manufacturing if ordered with a configured system, or email / paper pointing you to get license key for the 2x 10GE port licenses. 

If you didn't receive the 10GE port licenses, send me email (csluo@cisco.com) with your original SO#, I can check with manufacturing to see if we shipped the licenses or not; if not, we can ask our TAC to re-issue the licenses.

Thanks,

Chengsheng

Hello,

I have a bit simpler situation still related to this topic - when setting up network, customer only have planned for 1G connections, however, now they'd like us to upgrade to 10G. It would be only one 10G port per ASR1001-X. Is it correct that there's no need to purchase any additional license for this as both "interface_10g" and "throughput_10g" feature licenses come with the box by default and can be activated at any time for free? Or do we still need to make an additional purchase?

Thank you!

Hi Eliska, 

no, I believe You have to purchase the interface_10g for using the 10g-port. There is an RTU license for that. Just try it, set the port to "no shutdown" and the router will tell You what to do. 

-- Stefan

Thank you Stefan!

will this command reload the router ?

thanks

no, it will not require router reload.

Thanks,

Can You help me with broadband feature :

StoreIndex: 3 Feature: broadband Version: 1.0
License Type: Permanent
License State: Active, Not in Use
License Count: Non-Counted
License Priority: Medium
StoreIndex: 4 Feature: broadband_4k Version: 1.0
License Type: Permanent
License State: Active, Not in Use
License Count: 3/0/0 (Active/In-use/Violation)
License Priority: Medium
License Store: Built-In License Storage

howto change state to Active, in use ?

Regards

The BB_4K license will be 'active, in use' when you start configuring Broadband features.

Thanks,

Chengsheng

I've just gone through licensing the ASR1001 X for high bandwidth.  Here is a summary on what's required:

Throughput for licensing purposes is measured by the packets traversing the ESP [Embedded Services Processor].  So, for example, if you have all six 1G ports configured into two port-channels and you had 2Gbps of traffic in one direction and 1Gbps in the opposite that amounts to 3GBps in total so would require a Throughput license upgrade from 2.5Gbps to 5Gbps if you did not want any traffic dropped.

As for Port/Throughput licenses we have just upgraded our ASR1001 X routers and had to purchase both Interface licenses and throughput licenses.  From our experience you do not get the 10G ports activated by default when you upgrade the throughput.

I hope this helps anyone investigating these options.

We include 2x10GE port licenses for free on ASR1001-X only when you purchase 20Gbps throughput upgrade license; buying 5Gbps, or 10Gbps throughput upgrade license won't receive free 10GE port license.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Chengsheng

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card