Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR920 and USB Console

beddo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Having an issue getting a console connection into my ASR920.

Using Putty and keep getting the "Unable to open Com port" window...

So, in other words, the Putty window doesn't even open.

All Putty setting are correct i beleive, serial connection and try multiple diff com ports (com1, 2, 3, etc...)

I installed the asr-9xx_usbconsole_drivers and still nothing.

Have tried this now on 2 different laptops.  One running Win10 and the other Win8.1.

Both laptops run Putty just fine connecting into everything else (with the rj45 connector cable).

Also am using a USB typeA to typeA cable for the ASR.

Any ideas???  Do I need to order a special Cisco branded USB cable?

Any help is appreciated...this thing is killing me.

6 Replies 6

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

Does the ASR have multiple USB ports on it?  Typically on the few platforms that do support the USB console, the USB console is the Micro-USB or Mini-USB port - and the type A is for a USB stick for loading images or saving configs.

Thank you for the reply.  The ASR920 requires a Type-A to Type-A cable for the console connection.

tdesai001
Level 1
Level 1

I am running win10 and have the same prob. Were you able to find a way around it ?

helipos00
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if you solved it yet however.

You are using the USB port at the bottom right of the unit?
That port is for console when using the USB/serial drivers "asr-9xx_usbconsole_drivers"

Once you plug it in to the ASR and your PC, you should get a "USB UART"  show up in your device manager under ports for the PC.

The "console" port on the bottom left, should be for proper serial connections. the same as any garden variety cisco router except it uses a USB for the interface port.

Hi,

It is necessary to get and install this driver:

asr-9xx_usbconsole_drivers.zip

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286037604/type/282855122/release/3.13

using usb type A on both sides, configuration on putty as usual

samuel-r
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure to plug in the USB-A cable to the ASR USB-port named "USB Console" that is located on the right hand side on the front.
There is another USB-port that is just named "Console" and that one will not work!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card