cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assign management IP address to Cisco 3560

Le Gazman
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to use VLAN 254 for management, with a VLAN interface of 10.4.254.1 to allow me to access the switch via SSH.  At the moment I can SSH to any VLAN interface which has active ports assigned in that VLAN, but I can't get to 10.4.254.1 because it doesn't have any ports assigned.

What am I missing?

4 Replies 4

ctejeiro
Level 1
Level 1

Vlan 254 needs to be assigned to an access port or trunk port, otherwise the interface vlan (SVI) will be in protocol down state.

Thanks for this.  On the 3560 I have ip routing enabled and port 0/1 connected to the router.  If I set the port up as a trunk, do I need to have my ISP do the same on the router's inside interface?

You can set up the interface as a trunk. The important question then is whether you will use more than one VLAN on the trunk. If you will use only a single VLAN on the trunk, then make sure that it is the native VLAN and the ISP does not need to configure their interface as a trunk. If you will use more than one VLAN on the trunk then yes the ISP must configure their interface as a trunk.

From the very brief description of the environment that you have provided it seems to me that you might want to make the port connecting your switch to the ISP into a routed port and make the trunk on some other port. Does this 3560 connect to other switches or routers?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I agree with Richard.

Check interface vlan (svi) status with "show ip interface brief" , interface vlan 254 should be UP/UP to be locally reachable.

If you want to access your switch from a remote site using your management addressing, you also have to take into account that routers should know how to route this traffic ... so a route should be needed and probably propagated through any routing protocol to other remote sites, so I advise you contact your ISP and let them know what you want.

Good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card