Views
Helpful
Replies

assigning IP address to Catalyst1900 switch

vani_prasanna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of ourcustomer have a Catalyst 1900 switch, but unfortunately they lost console cable. Is there any way around that we can still assign an IP Address to the switch as we also intending to manage thru web browser only.

regards

Vani Prasanna

6 Replies 6

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I think your a bit stuffed really

If you can connect the switch to an existing cluster you can connect to it via the cluster IP address however you a) need a cluster and b) need to be able to configure the switch to be in a cluster.

The other option that's worth exploring, as its a 1900 series which i don't think are made any more, it may allready have an IP address on it.

You could connect it to another switch and do a "show cdp neighbor detail" which (if configured) will show you the IP of the switch, then you can configure a client with an IP in the same range and telnet on to the switch (if you know the password etc etc)

Also watch out if you are using VTP as connecting the 1900 switch to your production LAN (if its a VTP server) could blow away all your VLANS...i think :)

Good luck

Paddy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I could not get the bottom line of what you said, but the situation is that they had only one 1900 Switch at the location. Can you please calrify

regards

Vani Prasanna

Vani,

What paddy says is.

If you have a router or any other cisco device on that network use the "show cdp neighbours detail" command and it will give you all the information it can about the switch. If it has an IP address set all that you have to do is reset the IP on one of the PC's and telnet to the router (if it is has been configured for telnet and you have the password.

Other than that you need a cisco cable.

Regards,

Maren.

Hi Maren

Thanks for the details, can u please suggest me where I can get the cable now as the swtich is outdated.

Thnaks in advance

Reagards

Vani Prasanna

We are 2nd hand Cisco equipment dealer, if you want a console cable email me at hardware@hk.com and we can arrange shipment etc..

You can make one yourself.

Just made one for my old 1900 yesterday.

Here is wiring diagram:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/9.html#connecttermtocat

Alex.

OffshoreDrive.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card