Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance for stp

ateeqs.net
Level 1
Level 1

Hi expert,

while working i noticed my downstream devices were running on MSTP and it was a requirement to change upstream into RSTP and when i change upstream device into rstp i lost the connected to downstream also cant see that device in cdp neighbor.

Can some one please help me if i canuse rstp-mstp between 2 switches is it compatible.

Thanks for help.

5 Replies 5

mohsalah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey

I would like to get more details about your network in order for me to help you.

what type of switches you are running in your network? what are the images you have on both switches? and if you could provide me with a topology of your network it would be great too.

Thanks

thanks for you kind response.

Its very simple topology we have trunk between these two switches

Upstream we have : c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin"

Downstream we have : c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE7/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE7.bin"

Will it be an any issue while we have rstp on unstream and mstp on downsteam?

Thanks for kind help.

Hi Atteeqs,

when enabling MSTP, RSTP is enabled by default. MSTP processes RSTP BPDUs. Please find the attached guide for more information and configuration. Please update your question so we can work on a resolution. If you are getting errors please post them.

You are welcome.

Well, MSTP is based on RSTP and is backwards-compatible with RSTP and STP, therefore I think you should be able to run RSTP on one switch and MSTP on another.

qk502617689
Level 1
Level 1

if you running rstp and mstp together,you should let the switch running mstp to be the root bridge. the mst  switch cann‘t process the lot of  bpdu .

so  i  suggest you let all of the  switch  running rstp.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card