Views
Helpful
Replies

authenticate supplicant switch

vlad09
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

I try to authenticate supplicant switch against authenticator switch, but I dont clearly undertand of this concept. Can u pls help me or guid me how to set-up supplicant switch authentication? I dont undertand against WHAT it does do the authentication. Because I created profile, configured eap method on supplicant SW and what more? There was nothing mentioned to configure any cred profile on authentication switch neither RADIUS. So my question is, against what does the supplicant switch do the authentication? (I only found that supplicant SW authenticate itself against authenticator, but...how?)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

are you following some document like this ?

NEAT Configuration Example with Cisco Identity Services Engine

in DOT1x you have the authenticator and the authentication server

the authentication server verifies the credentials

the authenticator receives requests from the connected device with a DOT1x supplicant and forwards this to the authentication server

the supplicant switch behaves the same as the DOT1x supplicant on a client PC.

so it passes credentials using DOT1x to the authentication switch, which passes the request using Radius to the authentication server. the request is validated etc. etc.

so basically the supplicant switch needs to pass an account (username and password) to "login" into the connected switchport, where the account is validated at the authentication server (AD, ISE, ACS etc).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

are you following some document like this ?

NEAT Configuration Example with Cisco Identity Services Engine

in DOT1x you have the authenticator and the authentication server

the authentication server verifies the credentials

the authenticator receives requests from the connected device with a DOT1x supplicant and forwards this to the authentication server

the supplicant switch behaves the same as the DOT1x supplicant on a client PC.

so it passes credentials using DOT1x to the authentication switch, which passes the request using Radius to the authentication server. the request is validated etc. etc.

so basically the supplicant switch needs to pass an account (username and password) to "login" into the connected switchport, where the account is validated at the authentication server (AD, ISE, ACS etc).

thank you very much, u showed my the right way!! Now its working like a charm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card