Views
Helpful
Replies

auto qos for skype softphone

Yuyingchen_y4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Our company is now deploying Cisco auto-qos solution for the LAN, the "auto qos voip cisco-phone" and "auto qos voip cisco-softphone" commands are really helpful. However, we have a LAN environment that all staff are using skype softphone (skype for business softphone).

Looks like I cannot use "auto qos voip cisco-softphone" anymore as it will search for CDP ... I guess the only option is to use "autp qos voip trust" ?

Did anyone deployed the auto qos in similar environment ?

Much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BTW . . .

Unless they've changed how the later variants of NBAR work, you shouldn't need to do NBAR discovery to use protocol matching in a service policy.

Cisco recommends you don't allocate more than 1/3 of your bandwidth to LLQ.

The above configuration might place all Skype traffic into LLQ, but if it does, that might be something you would want to avoid.  I.e. ideally limiting LLQ to only Skype's VoIP traffic.

You may want to make your policy more generic and use LLQ to match any VoIP traffic.

You might check whether Skype tags its VoIP packets with a DSCP ToS setting you might use to classify the traffic.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

auto qos won't work here, you can try a custom QoS configuration. If your IOS supports NBAR, try the below:

class-map match-all SKYPE
 match protocol skype

policy-map SKYPE_POLICY
 class SKYPE
  priority percent 50

interface FastEthernet0/1
 description LAN interface
 ip nbar protocol-discovery

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 description WAN interface
 service-policy output SKYPE_POLICY

BTW . . .

Unless they've changed how the later variants of NBAR work, you shouldn't need to do NBAR discovery to use protocol matching in a service policy.

Cisco recommends you don't allocate more than 1/3 of your bandwidth to LLQ.

The above configuration might place all Skype traffic into LLQ, but if it does, that might be something you would want to avoid.  I.e. ideally limiting LLQ to only Skype's VoIP traffic.

You may want to make your policy more generic and use LLQ to match any VoIP traffic.

You might check whether Skype tags its VoIP packets with a DSCP ToS setting you might use to classify the traffic.

Thanks for your information.

Yuyingchen_y4
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks very much,

can you please kindly give me a example to configure the qos for skype ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card