cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

auto qos voip cisco-phone, does it remark non conforming packets?

pdub206
Level 1
Level 1

The 3650 QoS configuration guide I'm reading does not clearly state whether

auto qos cisco-phone

actually remarks non-conforming packets to dscp 0.  For example, if I apply the above configuration to a port that a Cisco phone is not on, will it remark all packets as DSCP 0?

Throwing packets since 2012
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't tested it with non cisco phone using the cisco syntax usually it would be just trust voip instead if non Cisco, but looking at the below its not going to trust it through cdp if its not a Cisco phone so most likely it will be marked back to 0

cisco-phoneWhen you enter the auto qos voip cisco-phone interface  configuration command on a port at the edge of a network that is  connected to a Cisco IP Phone, the switch enables the  conditional-trusted boundary feature. The switch uses the Cisco  Discovery Protocol (CDP) to detect the presence or absence of a Cisco IP  Phone. When a Cisco IP Phone is detected, the ingress classification on  the interface is set to trust the CoS marking of the received packet.  When a Cisco IP Phone is absent, the ingress classification is set to  not trust the CoS (or DSCP) value of any packet.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't tested it with non cisco phone using the cisco syntax usually it would be just trust voip instead if non Cisco, but looking at the below its not going to trust it through cdp if its not a Cisco phone so most likely it will be marked back to 0

cisco-phoneWhen you enter the auto qos voip cisco-phone interface  configuration command on a port at the edge of a network that is  connected to a Cisco IP Phone, the switch enables the  conditional-trusted boundary feature. The switch uses the Cisco  Discovery Protocol (CDP) to detect the presence or absence of a Cisco IP  Phone. When a Cisco IP Phone is detected, the ingress classification on  the interface is set to trust the CoS marking of the received packet.  When a Cisco IP Phone is absent, the ingress classification is set to  not trust the CoS (or DSCP) value of any packet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card