cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

auto qos voip trust - Design Guide says one thing macro does another

m.gravel
Level 1
Level 1

On page 19/182 of the document Medianet Campus QoS Design 4.0 it states in a bullet point.

• trust - This mode is intended for switch ports that are within ithe trusted-boundary (such as inter-switch links, including uplinks and downlinks) or switch ports that are connecting to trusted endpoints, and sets the port to a static trust-dscp state, as well as configures mapping and queueing policies for QoS for VoIP.

This bullet references one of the three options available when using the auto qos voip command.  Cisco-phone and cisco-softphone being the other two options.

The problem I have is that when applying this configuration to a switch port on a 2960S (for example) the macro applies a trust-cos state.  Does anyone know why the design guide says one thing and the macro does another?

Trust DSCP makes sense to me and I realize i can change it with the mls qos trust dscp command however it would be nice if the documentation reflected what actually happens.

I am running 12.2(55)SE2 on a 2960S which is using auto qos srnd4.

Is this an error in the documenation or an error in the macro itself?  I'm assuming the macro.

A quick scan of the bug toolkit did not reveal anything either.

Marc

1 Reply 1

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

When you enter the auto qos voip trust interface configuration command on a port connected to the interior of the network, the switch trusts the CoS value for nonrouted ports in ingress packets (the assumption is that traffic has already been classified by other edge devices). The switch configures the ingress and egress queues on the port according to the settings in Table 29-3 and Table 29-4.

This is an excerpt from  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1231112

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card