cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto Smartport - AIR-AP3802I - dc_default_profiles.txt identifies it as a Cisco Switch

joekrause01
Level 1
Level 1

Setting up Auto Smartports on a 3850 switch (Version 16.3.5b)... When I connect a Cisco AIR-AP3802I access point and run the command:  sh device classifier attached - - the table identifies it with a Profile Name:  Cisco-Switch.  Whereas, a 3702i access point is correctly identified as an AIR-LAP.  I believe this is why the CISCO_WIRELESS_LIGHTWEIGHT_AP_EVENT will execute for the 3702i, but not the 3802i.  Is there a way to edit the dc_default_profiles.txt file or replace it with an updated file?

device classifier output.JPG

7 Replies 7

pieterh
VIP
VIP

It's unwise to edit the file manually as it is "part off" the IOS and will be replaced when upgrading .

reference Auto Smartports Configuration Guide, Release 15.0(1)SE section device classifier

Device-classifier uses profile definitions—built-in and default profiles. The built-in profiles contain the device profiles that are known to the Auto Smartports module, comprising a limited set of Cisco devices. They are built into Cisco IOS and cannot be changed. The default profiles are stored as a text file in nonvolatile storage and allow the DC to identify a much larger set of devices. The default profiles are updated as part of the Cisco IOS archive download

but you may create a custom-trigger to assign the device to the Cisco-AIR-LAP macro?

by the way the 3700 is running the lightweight image, the 3800 is not! (stand-alone or ME).

This could also be reason for different classification!

Thank you for all the responses!  How do you know, by the information I've given, that the image on the 3800 is not a lightweight image?

ap-cap.PNG

it reports itself (by CDP protocol) as AIR-AP3800... instead of AIR-CAP....

ap-me.PNG

I may have further questions... but just wanted thank you for you quick response!

you're welcome,

pleas mark posts as helpful or answer to your question

The AP is connecting to a 5508 WLC and the software is being updated to the latest version available by the controller... Wouldn't this determine that it is running as a LWAP?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card