Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto Smartports - CISCO_LAST_RESORT_AUTO_ SMARTPORT

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I do my first steps with Auto Smartports on Cat3560 and Cat2960.

Now I'm searching for a solution to have a macro for all devices I don't have a seperate macro.

I have five groups of end hosts which I want to configure and I have some printers and thinclients which I can't handle.

Is there a "default macro" I can use?

I read something about a Global Macro named "CISCO_LAST_RESORT_AUTO_SMARTPORT".

But I can't find it on my 2960 with IOS 12.2(55)SE3.

Thanks a lot!

Sven

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sven,

As i told you ,there is not default macro...Last resort macro will be applied to devices which are detected by CDP,and have only H bit set in cdp packets...I am sure 55SE3 should have it.You can check the output of "sh shell functions brief" to confirm this.

-Ankur

View solution in original post

Yes,i think that was the only change

We tried to make it configurable but backed off due to some issues.

Thanks,

Ankur

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

Sven,

Last resort will get applied for devices which are detected by cdp with only H bit set....ASP doesn't have anything for devices which doesn't have any macro,though you can define your own macro and map it to mac addresses of devices,but that will be pain.....Last resort should be present on 2960 with 55SE3.

New release of ASP 15.0(1) SE is also out...There onbe more command is introduces -> "macro auto trigger"...This might help your cause...See the latest config guide for more details.

Please let me know any more detail you require regarding ASP.

-Ankur

Hey Ankur,

thanks for your response!

I use the 55SE3 on my test equipment, but I can't find it. Maybe it is on the 58SE?

Hm...the problem is, that I don't want to add a huge number of OUIs for printers, notebooks, thinclients and so on.

So a default-macro would be the best solution.

Because LLDP is not as common as I thought the only way at the moment could be MAC-groups.

I think at the moment IOS 15.0(1)SE is no option at the moment.

Thanks!

Sven

Sven,

As i told you ,there is not default macro...Last resort macro will be applied to devices which are detected by CDP,and have only H bit set in cdp packets...I am sure 55SE3 should have it.You can check the output of "sh shell functions brief" to confirm this.

-Ankur

Thanks a lot for that command!

I found it.....

Sven

Hi,

after some further testing Auto Smartports I have a new idea for the problem of needing a default port configuration for unknown devices.

I created a user-defined macro for some special endhosts. That is working with a mac-address-group for this vendor OUI.

For the antimacro I created not only the macro with negation for all applied commands.

I created a complete new template which I want to use as the default port configuration.

For initial port configuration I used the same template.

So after starting the switch all ports get this default template.

If a special endhost will be plugged in the macro starts and overwrites the default port as it should.

After plugging out the default port will be "restored".

If I plug in a device which has no mac-group or CDP or other trigger the default port persists and the device can work, too.

OMG....I hope this is not confusing

Did anybody try that or has some experiences with that workaround?

Thanks a lot!

Sven

Hi Sven,

How will the default template gets applied,if you directly connect unknown device...I mean suppose there is one port which has no configs and no device attached..Now you connect it to a device which is not under that OUI..It won't get the default template.

Also,if possible,can you please share the macro which you created.

Thanks,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I try to describe it more detailed.

The plan was to configure a switch parallel with macros and a default-port-config in the startup-config.

A default-port looks like that:

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

description DEFAULT-CONFIG

switchport access vlan 5

switchport mode access

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 5 75

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

priority-queue out

mls qos trust dscp

storm-control broadcast level pps 1k

storm-control multicast level pps 2k

storm-control action trap

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree

!

On top I will create a macro for my special endhosts like that:

!

macro auto mac-address-group special_device_oui

oui list 001999

!

macro auto global processing

macro auto global control detection mac-address

!

macro auto execute special_device_oui ACCESS_VLAN=3 VOICE_VLAN=4 {

if [[ $LINKUP -eq YES ]]; then

conf t

interface  $INTERFACE

macro description $TRIGGER

switchport access vlan $ACCESS_VLAN

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan $VOICE_VLAN

no logging event link-status

priority-queue out

mls qos trust dscp

no snmp trap link-status

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

service-policy input PO_TRUST-PHONE

exit

end

fi

if [[ $LINKUP -eq NO ]]; then

conf t

interface  $INTERFACE

no macro description

description DEFAULT-CONFIG

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 5

spanning-tree portfast

no switchport voice vlan $VOICE_VLAN

priority-queue out

mls qos trust dscp

no service-policy input PO_TRUST-PHONE

fi

exit

end

fi

}

!

This is only one example for what I want to do for other devices, too.

The main reason for that default-config is that I have a huge number of different printers and thinclients and laptops for which I can't create mac-address-groups.

For special devices which have one or two OUIs I want to use the macros with mac-groups.

One other question. Is there somewhere a deeper describing documentation about ASP?

I only found the "Auto Smartports Configuration Guide". But there is for example no description about the posibility to store the macros on a central server for example. Some more informations would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Sven

Hi Sven,

Which version of config guide you are using ?..After 12.2(55)SE,document was changed from 20 pages to 70 pages

Also,if possible you can use version 15.0(1) SE for ASP...THis is improved version in terms of functionality.

For 12.2(58)SE--

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/auto_smartports/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/aspcg.html

For 15.0(1)SE--

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/auto_smartports/15.0_1_se/configuration/guide/asp_cg.html

Check this for example on storing macro at central location

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/auto_smartports/15.0_1_se/configuration/guide/clicomms.html#wp1054942

Appreciate your interest in the feature.Please feel free to shoot any questions regarding ASP here.

Thanks,

Ankur

Hi,

the main reason for using the IOS 12.2(55)SE3 is that I have a lot of Cat3560-24PS-S in my network. And for those there is no 12.2(58)SE available.

I found the IOS for 3560G switches, but it will not work in a 3560 without "G", right?

For the IOS 15.0(1) I found another thread where a memory leak is described. So I think I have to wait for a stable release ;-)

My "workaround" for a default-config is not useful after some more testing because of the problem with the startup-config. If I want to change a global command on the switch (for example some logging functions) and save it in the startup-config all port configurations dynamically configured will be saved, too. So my default-config will be deleted.

Thanks!

Sven

Hi Sven,

You can use any 3560 IOS with  Cat3560-24PS-S or 3560G.I mean not 3560e,it has separate ios.

I think mem leak in 15.0(1)SE is related to 2960s.There will soon be maintenance build for 15.0(1)SE.

ASP didn't make any change from 12.2(55)SE to 12.2(58)SE,but 12.2(55)SE introduced lot of changes.15.0(1)SE made some architectural changes which made it more reliable.

We are working on planning modifications for next version of ASP.Please keep your suggestions coming.

Thanks,

Ankur

Thanks Ankur!

I was wondering to find no IOS after 12.2(55) for the 3560 in the Download Center....

But okay, if I can use the one I found for the 3560G it is okay for me.

The big goal from 12.2(55) to 12.2(58) is that the switch will not wait for 60 seconds to configure a switchport after getting an MAC trigger.

That delay is really tricky because our clients uses PXE and search very long for a DHCP address because the switchport is not in the right VLAN.

I will test now 12.2(58) and after that will try the 15.0(1).

Thanks!

Sven

Yes,i think that was the only change

We tried to make it configurable but backed off due to some issues.

Thanks,

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card