cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto Smartports

ling20125
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for some information  regarding the configuration of Auto Smartports on the switch. I have  quite a few questions so it's probably going to be a long thread. By  default, Auto Smartports recognize various devices through CDP, among  the devices that the switch can recognize include:

- Switch

- Router

- IP Phone

- WAP and LWAP

- IP Camera

- DMP

So, my first question would be, how does the switch recognize the all  these devices (other than the switch and router) using CDP when all  capability code that CDP has are just for switching and routing devices?

In my situation, when I connect a LWAP to a switch, in the show CDP  neighbor command, it shows up as a transparent bridge, forcing Auto  Smartport to assign the LAST_RESORT_EVENT to the interface when it's  actually a LWAP. Is this issue caused by CDP? How can the switch tell  Auto Smartport to recognize these devices? How does this process occur?

Regards,

Angela

PS: I would like to confirm the following statement "the difference between ‘macro auto device’ and ‘macro auto global control device’ is that the first command configures variables associated with the macro that’s going to be applied to the device. Whereas, in ‘macro auto global control device’, we are setting which type of device are getting automatic detection.". Is this correct?

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm don't know how to answer your technical question but what are you trying to do?  I'm using SmartPort macros because there are some stuffs with the "auto" feature that just won't fit into our design.

By the way, Cisco has announced, back in 12.2(46), that the SmartPort macro will not last long in favor of the Auto SmartPort but the command and feature for the non-Auto is available and hidden.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card