Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatically Shut Down a switchport

Vlad Olteanu
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I am looking to find out a method to shut down a switchport if the computer connected to it has been disconnected for a while , let's say a week.

Is there a way to do this on 4506 and 3750's ?

Thanks so much!

Vlad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

network_guy
Level 1
Level 1

Here, I believe this is exactly what you are looking for. I don't see why 4506 won't do it but then again I didn't use it with a 4506, just 3750's. But here's the link to the other posts that should get you what you need.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2045575

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Amit Aneja
Level 3
Level 3

I don't think there is a way to do it on 3750/4506. I don't think they support EEM. On routers & 6500 which support EEM, you could configure an EEM script which could be triggered by the link up/down message & action would be to shut the port. To "no shut" it, I guess users have to approach you as there will be no log generated when the user plugs back in.

Regards,

Amit

andtoth
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Vlad,

With modern PCs and Servers this will be quite problematic as they always give power to the Network Interface Card (NIC) for Wake-on-LAN (WoL) purposes. Otherwise you would not be able to turn on your device through your network.

You might try disabling the WoL feature or enable power-saving on the NIC settings, which might be required to be done in BIOS rather than the OS to make sure the NIC turns off and therefore the switchport is considered to be in down state.

Best regards,

Andras

network_guy
Level 1
Level 1

I know for a fact that 3750's support EEM (with newer IOS'). I worked with Joe Clarke a few months back on this very issue. I will have to dig up my posts but he wrote the tcl script himself and works flawlessly. Give me a few minutes to find it.

network_guy
Level 1
Level 1

Here, I believe this is exactly what you are looking for. I don't see why 4506 won't do it but then again I didn't use it with a 4506, just 3750's. But here's the link to the other posts that should get you what you need.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2045575

Thanks so much all , I really appreciate it!

This is something I really need as my security manager kills me with all inactive ports not being shut.

Regards,

Vlad

Hi, I don’t suppose you have the contents of that link anymore?
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card