cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

avaya phone to Cat OS switch

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

Can I use avaya phone without trunking the port?

set vlan 10 (data vlan) mod/port

set port auxiliaryvlan mod/port 20 (voice vlan)

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

nawas,

I dont think the avaya phone works without the trunk configuration on the port.

As per my experience trunking is not required for the new nortel phones but for avaya it is a must.

HTH

Narayan

colm_oneill
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you sure can. We have many 1000's of Avaya sets configured this way, as dot1q trunks were eating up the CPU due to the number of STP instances

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have multiple installs of Avaya phones just using the voice vlan setup without using an actual trunk, wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00808a4a41.shtml

Yes i agree..

Old Avaya phones do not work without trunks but the newer phones do work without the trunk configuration.

Number of spanning-tree instances is a problem hence when it used to be defined as a trunk, it was a good prctice to allow only the data and the voice vlan across the port

Without the trunk configuration though, there can be no qos applied based on COS.

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: