cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

backup and restore ASA 5505 config

jmgilasoin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need to backup my ASA 5505 configuration and restore it to default, then I'll configure manually the new config, but if something doesn't work I want to restore the backup made before.

I tried the "copy run tftp" command, and it always answers the same:

Result of the command: "copy run tftp"

Source filename [running-config]?

?Bad filename

%Error parsing filename (Bad file number)

I read everywhere its supossed to prompt asking me tftp server address and file name....but I only obtain that...

what am I doing wrong?

heeelp!

9 Replies 9

jmgilasoin
Level 1
Level 1

PS: I'm using ASDM 6.0 and the Tools->Command Line Interface option.

It will ask you tftp server address after you get past this issue.

does the "dir system:" command show the running-config file?

have you tried "copy start tftp"?

could be that the NVRAM is corrupt?

Jose Manuel Gil wrote:

PS: I'm using ASDM 6.0 and the Tools->Command Line Interface option.

Instead of trying to do it via the java command line interface (which will only accept one input, hence the errors you are getting), you can either

1) Go to  TOOLS -> Backup Configurations

or

2) telnet/SSH into the firewall, enter privileged mode and enter the following commands

copy run tftp:

You will need a valid, reachable TFTP server that your firewall can dump its configuration to.

or

3) telnet/SSH into the firewall, enber privileged mode, enable logging on your terminal program and enter the following command

more system:running-config

hit space at the pagination points until you reach the end, save your log, then use a text editor to remove the embedded spaces and save the config as a text file.

Once you've successfulyl backed up your config, issue the command

write erase

to erase your existing startup configuration, then reload the device to restore it to the defaults.

NOTE: Once you have issued the write erase command and reloaded, you WILL need to be connected via a console cable - you will NOT be able to use ASDM to configure the device until you've put at least a basic interface and access configuration on one physical interface. If you issue this command and lose conenctivity without being able to connect to the console port, I accept no responsibility for the consequences!

Cheers

Ok I'm back to work.

I didn't find any menu like TOOLS-> Backup configurations.

I used FILE-> Save running config to TFTP

and it works, but my problem is there's no menu to RESTORE the config file, so I need to solve the "copy" command issue.

I tried to telnet/SSH using SecureCRT and it gave me a surprise... the connection times out, I cant connect through telnet/SSH

any idea to enable the telnet/SSH access to the router?

greetings

Jose Manuel Gil wrote:

Ok I'm back to work.

I didn't find any menu like TOOLS-> Backup configurations.

I used FILE-> Save running config to TFTP

and it works, but my problem is there's no menu to RESTORE the config file, so I need to solve the "copy" command issue.

I tried to telnet/SSH using SecureCRT and it gave me a surprise... the connection times out, I cant connect through telnet/SSH

any idea to enable the telnet/SSH access to the router?

greetings

Have you actually enabled telnet/ssh into the firewall?

From the ASDM console, go to Configuration -> Ddevice Management -> ASDM/HTTP/Telnet/SSH and add an allow rule for your "inside" interface for telnet/SSH

Cheers.

jmgilasoin
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your answers, I'm out of the office for holidays,so I'll test your solutions after these christmas days and I'll come here to inform you

Merry Christmas.

Hi Bro

For this, I usually do it the old fashion way. I issue the command show running-config, and I capture them to a TEXT file.

In the event I need to restore the config, I'll just perform copy and paste. This method may not be efficient especially when you’ve super long configurations, but I love it :-)

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam

How to deploy old config to new asa firewall 5515 model , could you please share plan step wise

thanks you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card