cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup Route Path with VPC

SIMMN
Spotlight
Spotlight

I was reading one of the slides from this year Cisco Live regarding VPC. One particular slide kinda confused me (attached). My understanding of setting up backup route path with VPC is: Use a dedicated L3 link between the two VPC peers for dynamic routing adjacency; Use a non-VPC VLAN interface between the two peers on a layer 2 trunk to form routing adjacency; Also possible to use specific VLAN over the peer link to form adjacency. 

But from the Cisco Live Slide, I am confused:

1. The four bullet points means four options? If so, What does second and third bullet points are referring? Mainly why passive-interfaces on HSRP SVI?

2. What the section on top with blue background trying to say?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. The four bullet points means four options? If so, What does second and third bullet points are referring? Mainly why passive-interfaces on HSRP SVI?

bullet 2 is saying any user/server vlan with HSRP should be configured as passive, so there isn't multiple peering between the 2 switches.  bullet 3 is saying, you can use an SVI to peer layer-3 between the 2 switches.

That is a combination of bullet 2 and 3. Same as bullet 2 and 3.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

bullet 2 is saying any user/server vlan with HSRP should be configured as passive, so there isn't multiple peering between the 2 switches.  bullet 3 is saying, you can use an SVI to peer layer-3 between the 2 switches.

That is a combination of bullet 2 and 3. Same as bullet 2 and 3.

HTH

Thanks, so they are actually lining up with my own understandings, just different representation.

That is correct.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card