Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth/Throughput & EtherChannels

I am going through the CCNP Switch and I have a question that a CCIE (almost) and I are stuck on:

If Gigabit Ethernet ports are bundled into a single EtherChannel, what is the maximum throughput that can be achieved from one switch to another?

I thought the answer is 8Gbps, but the book says that the answer is 16Gbps. (1 bundle of 8 EtherChannel links) The CCIE (almost) is saying it is 8Gbps too because the throughput is only one way on a link and not both ways (not taking full duplex into account). Although if you take full duplex into account (1Gbps one way and 1Gbps the other) then is it 16Gbps? The link would be 16Gbps because 1Gbps is one way and 1Gbps the other. But the port can only handle 1Gbps, so it really 16Gbps or only 8Gbps?

In this link the author says:

A maximum of 8 active ports are supported in a single EtherChannel. If the ports are operating in full duplex, the maximum theoretical bandwidth supported is as follows:

* Fast Ethernet – 1600 Mbps
* Gigabit Ethernet – 16 Gbps
* 10 Gigabit Ethernet – 160 Gbps

Which gives me supporting evidence for the answer being 16Gbps, but I am not entirely sure, could someone clarify the maximum throughput/bandwidth of an EtherChannel bundle, 8Gbps or 16Gbps?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The short answer, the 16 Gbps is the total available aggregate bandwidth for an 8 gig (duplex) link Etherchannel, although on such an Etherchannel the best bandwidth a single flow might achieve from host A to host B would be gig.

When FE and duplex first came out, Cisco (sales?) liked to say individual links had 200 Mbps of bandwidth, this to make them seem twice as good as FE half duplex links.

Although, of course, with duplex there is 100 Mbps in each direction, for a single data transfer, from host A to host B, maximum throughput is still 100 Mbps.  I.e. in theory, no faster than half duplex unless there's also host B to host A traffic too.

I.e. Cisco (sales?) seemed to preferred saying it was 200 Mbps rather than 100 Mbps full duplex.  I suspect this may have been done because it sounded better.

Cisco, though, is occasionally inconsistent on how to describe duplex bandwidth (read up on the 6500 bus bandwidth, it's usually referenced as 32 Mbps, but occasionally it's referenced as 16 Mbps [I believe it's actaully 16 Mbps duplex]), but Cisco still most often doubles the bandwidth for duplex "infrastructure" links, such as when referring to Etherchannel, 3K stack ring or fabric bandwidths.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Usually when you take into account throughput like that you would take the full duplex from my opinion and experience that's what we have always done it by , so I would agree with you 16gb in general as theory  , but more importantly you need to make sure your load balancing is working correctly on the etherchannel or you will just end up swamping some of the links as it could all be pushed up and down 1 member

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The short answer, the 16 Gbps is the total available aggregate bandwidth for an 8 gig (duplex) link Etherchannel, although on such an Etherchannel the best bandwidth a single flow might achieve from host A to host B would be gig.

When FE and duplex first came out, Cisco (sales?) liked to say individual links had 200 Mbps of bandwidth, this to make them seem twice as good as FE half duplex links.

Although, of course, with duplex there is 100 Mbps in each direction, for a single data transfer, from host A to host B, maximum throughput is still 100 Mbps.  I.e. in theory, no faster than half duplex unless there's also host B to host A traffic too.

I.e. Cisco (sales?) seemed to preferred saying it was 200 Mbps rather than 100 Mbps full duplex.  I suspect this may have been done because it sounded better.

Cisco, though, is occasionally inconsistent on how to describe duplex bandwidth (read up on the 6500 bus bandwidth, it's usually referenced as 32 Mbps, but occasionally it's referenced as 16 Mbps [I believe it's actaully 16 Mbps duplex]), but Cisco still most often doubles the bandwidth for duplex "infrastructure" links, such as when referring to Etherchannel, 3K stack ring or fabric bandwidths.

This is a typical "you can't win except to memorize the Cisco answer" question.  

First, you think you're smart by knowing that 8 ports is the max sized bundle, and if each is 1Gbps, Cisco calls that 16 Gbps max throughput, because they count both directions.   Then, they give a question of "what is the max throughput from one switch to another"; the prepositions meaning unidirectionally (from A to B), not bidirectionally, for which the correct wording would need to be 'across the bundle' or 'between the switches'..   As a good test taker, you cleverly answer 8Gbps, thinking they're trying to trick you, but then... you're wrong, well, because Cisco.

I came across the same question while preparing my CCNP Switch. Odd Cisco stuff all I have to say.

HassanTofaha
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco offers another method of scaling link bandwidth by aggregating, or bundling,
parallel links, termed the EtherChannel technology. Two to eight links of either Fast
Ethernet (FE), Gigabit Ethernet (GE), or 10-Gigabit Ethernet (10GE) can be bundled as
one logical link of Fast EtherChannel (FEC), Gigabit EtherChannel (GEC), or 10-Gigabit
Etherchannel (10GEC), respectively. This bundle provides a full-duplex bandwidth of up
to 1600 Mbps (eight links of Fast Ethernet), 16 Gbps (eight links of GE), or 160 Gbps
(eight links of 10GE).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card