Views
Helpful
Replies

Banner Messages in the UK

sdawson14
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have tried to search around but I haven't been able to answer my question so hopefully someone can help. I know in the US and in certain states if you have a correctly worded MOTD banner on your kit then it can help prosecution against people hacking in or gaining unauthorized access. I was wondering what the situation is here in the UK, is it worth me creating a template and putting them onto all our routers?

Sorry if this is poorly worded and thank you in advanced for any help.

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It can't hurt - most multi nationals I've worked with have consistent wording across the kit on their worldwide sites, so I would go with what you have.

Of course I'm no legal expert, so please don't sue me if you can't prosecute a bad guy ;-)

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thank you for your response and you're right, it isn't a chore to add it so I will add it just to be safe!

zakfleming1
Level 1
Level 1

This is our UK banner if this is any use.

THIS DEVICE IS PART OF A
                    ------------------------

PRIVATE NETWORK
                        ---------------

* Unauthorised access or use of this equipment *
         *   is prohibited and constitutes an offence   *
         *     under the Computer Misuse Act 1990.      *
         *    If you are not authorised to use this     *
         *     system, terminate this session now.      *

Thank you, that is nice and direct! 

No Problem. The forum has stuffed up the formatting. I have attached it in a text file.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card