Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic CCENT question.

Good Afternoon,

Currently I am studying CCENT while working as an assistant within a police network team. I have noticed, upon reading my CCENT book that it states that a Switch doesnt create multiple broadcast domains (table 6-3, page 158 official cert guide). Surely this is incorrect as VLANs on a switch would create separate broadcast domains. Is it a matter of wording as in, the switch would not create the broadcast domain automatically without configuration?

Am I misunderstanding something? I was just wondering as I would hate to get to the exam and find that I was answering simple questions wrong.

Many Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

It is the general concept of switch. There are switches that do not support VLAN. Vlan is an extra feature switch can support.

If we just look at the concept.

Hub : only one collision domain, one broadcast domain

Switch: several colission domains, one broadcast domain.

Router: several broadcast domains.

Hope it helps,

Masoud

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hello,

It is the general concept of switch. There are switches that do not support VLAN. Vlan is an extra feature switch can support.

If we just look at the concept.

Hub : only one collision domain, one broadcast domain

Switch: several colission domains, one broadcast domain.

Router: several broadcast domains.

Hope it helps,

Masoud

Thanks for your helpful response, ill bear it in mind.

You are most welcome.

Masoud

Comments: i am going to take the course, I purchased the book , and being told that i needed more notes and that the study guide is not enough? Do I need to learn the 36 chapters or can I just focus on the exam topics?

haadk170190
Level 1
Level 1

Comments: i am going to take the course, I purchased the book , and being told that i needed more notes and that the study guide is not enough? Do I need to learn the 36 chapters or can I just focus on the exam topics?

From CCNA and CCNP my advice would be you need to have good knowledge in a variety of areas (not just zone in on certain areas)

For you subnetting and network fundamentals in general are a must.

Martin

One more thing on the switches. For the CCNA level certification, a switch is a layer 2 device not a layer 3 device. While there are switches that can do layer 3 routing, for the CCNA level certification it is strictly tested as a layer 2 device.

Mike

The answer is determined by what the question is asking.

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco