cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic cluster question related to switches.

johnleeee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Id like to speak with someone

where could be problem.

We have configured switches 2950 and 3560 to make cluster..command cluster member and cluster commander ...

Our 3560 is commander. Problem is that commander rewrote hostnames of members.

But we dont know why?

Pls, any suggestions!!

BR

jl

4 Replies 4

Hello,

the only way I know of this could happen is when the switch has previously been a member of a cluster...check the info below. Which IOS version are you running on the 3560 ? This could be a bug, I will check that, can yo post the output of ´show version´?

Hostnames

You do not need to assign a host name to either a cluster command switch or an eligible cluster member. However, a hostname assigned to the cluster command switch can help to identify the switch cluster. The default hostname for the switch is Switch.

If a switch joins a cluster and it does not have a hostname, the cluster command switch appends a unique member number to its own hostname and assigns it sequentially as each switch joins the cluster. The number means the order in which the switch was added to the cluster. For example, a cluster command switch named eng-cluster could name the fifth cluster member eng-cluster-5.

If a switch has a hostname, it retains that name when it joins a cluster and when it leaves the cluster.

If a switch received its hostname from the cluster command switch, was removed from a cluster, was then added to a new cluster, and kept the same member number (such as 5), the switch overwrites the old hostname (such as eng-cluster-5) with the hostname of the cluster command switch in the new cluster (such as mkg-cluster-5). If the switch member number changes in the new cluster (such as 3), the switch retains the previous name (eng-cluster-5).

Regards,

GP

Hi ..thanks for the explanation.

Yes it happened as you wrote.

Comander rewrote hostname when member connected

to cluster. But, what we should do to remain in

previous configuration of hostnames?

For example:

before.....first switch was SW-01, second SW-02

and cluster commander for example was SW-03.

But after we changed commander switch for 3560

first switch is SW-03-1 ...and so on and commander is SW-03 still. But this is not good for us.

We want to remain in previous config.

BR

jl

Hello John,

can't you just rename the switches with the ' hostname' command, and then run autodiscovery again ?

Clustering Switches

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12225sed/scg/swclus.htm#wp1028880

Regards,

GP

Hi,

problem is that when I connect member to cluster,

commander rewrite its hostname. But when I connect

to CLI of member switch and change hostname after to correct one after time commander rewrite hostname again to bad one for us.

Have you any suggestions to achive commander hostname SW-10 and first member SW-01, second SW-02..and so on?

I think after discussion that what I can only achive is assign commander hostname SW and every the other switch will be SW-1 and SW-2...not SW-01 and SW-02.

M I right?

BR

jl

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card