cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BAUD RATE ISSUES!!!!

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

I was reloading my Cisco Router with a different IOS Image using xmodem. I lost power or either messed it up some how. Now when I attempt to access my cisco router using the console cable I see the router booting however I can not read the characters in the hyper-terminal screen. Looks Like;

äø„øøüü Is there anyway to do a hard reset on my 2620 cisco router or find the baud rate? I have tried all the baud rates in hyper-terminal and they do not work. HELP!!!

17 Replies 17

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

when are you trying new baud rates in hyperterminal, are you exiting the program and re-starting it? I've found that sometimes that helps when changing baud rates. Also, try different settings with your flow control.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

I have not restarted the program I have just used the new connection tab in hyper-terminal and disconnected from the current connection. Is that good enough or do I need to close the hyper-terminal application all the way out and open it again?

Charlie

As I say in my other post, I have known people who just close the connection and re-select the connection (which would be similar to selecting the new connection tab). In a case where you have tried without success to use different baud rates I would suggest that you close the program and re-start the program just to be safe and to remove any doubt that the new speed is being used.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks I will try that and get back with you. Good thing I am not doing this on my production network Like I was getting ready to do. That would have been a really bad day for me.

Well if it were your production network, you'd be down right now!!! :)

-brad

I was finally able to find the correct baud rate I think but, when I try to used the xmodem -c (IOS NAME) command the router will not allow me to type -c after the xmodem I can't even enter a space betweem the xmodem and -. I also went to change the baud rate after entering confreg and it will not allow me to type in any numbers at all. It just displays 2 arrows one point up and the other pointing in the down direction. Where am I am going wrong now?

I was finally able to find the correct baud rate I think but, when I try to used the xmodem -c (IOS NAME) command the router will not allow me to type -c after the xmodem I can't even enter a space betweem the xmodem and -. I also went to change the baud rate after entering confreg and it will not allow me to type in any numbers at all. It just displays 2 arrows one point up and the other pointing in the down direction. Where am I am going wrong now?

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Charlie

There may be one alternative for you to consider: is it possible that when the router boots that you can access the aux port and login to the router. If you can get access via the aux port then you should be able to reconfigure the configuration register (to 0x2102) and restore the console baud rate.

If the aux port does not work for you I am not aware of any way to hard reset to change the console speed. But I suspect that you have not tried all the baud rates or did not properly reset Hyperterm as you changed speeds. I believe that the 2620 console speed can go as high as 115K. So I would start at 1200 and systematically try all the speeds up to 115K. Also be aware that in many versions of Hyperterm that you need to reset Hyperterm (I typically stop and restart each time, I know some people who just stop the connection and re-select the connection) every time that you change the speed to get Hyperterm to pick up the new speed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Example of my Problem with xmodem

PC = 0xfff0a530, Vector = 0x500, SP = 0x80004864

monitor: command "boot" aborted due to user interrupt

rommon 1 > confreg

Configuration Summary

enabled are:

load rom after netboot fails

console baud: 9600

boot: image specified by the boot system commands

or default to: cisco2-C2600

do you wish to change the configuration? y/n [n]: y

enable "diagnostic mode"? y/n [n]:

enable "use net in IP bcast address"? y/n [n]:

disable "load rom after netboot fails"? y/n [n]:

enable "use all zero broadcast"? y/n [n]:

enable "break/abort has effect"? y/n [n]:

enable "ignore system config info"? y/n [n]:

change console baud rate? y/n [n]: y

enter rate: 0 = 9600, 1 = 4800, 2 = 1200, 3 = 2400

4 = 19200, 5 = 38400, 6 = 57600, 7 = 115200 [0]( No Numbers will show just arrows.

Why are you screwing with the config register? Why dont you just TFTP an IOS down if that is what you are trying to do?

-brad

I was just changing my baud rate to 115000 so I could have a faster tranfer using xmodem. How dod I tftp the ISO to a 2620 router while in ROMmon mode? I had no idea i could do that.

Charlie

I am not clear what the problem is here. Is it possible that num lock is/is not engaged differently from what you expect?

If you are attempting to change the console speed it should work if you calculate the correct value for the config register and enter it directly (rommon 1>confreg 0xnnnn) where nnnn is the correct value for the config register.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Charlie

While in rommon try the command tftpdnld. If you have set the variables correctly this command should invoke TFTP and download an IOS image.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Great I am going to try it now. Hop[efully my letters and numbers will show up when I try this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card