cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Baudrate mismatch 4331-X ISR_ESM Layer 2/3 SM-X-ES3-16-P

chrisknaby
Level 1
Level 1

I recently attempted to update my 4331-x ISR , ESM layer2/3 SM-X-ES3-16-P switch module to an updated IOS version c3560e-universalk9-mz.152-3.E1. In the process of doing so, i deleted the old IOS and rebooted.  I was sent to the boot-loader switch: prompt and I began to follow instructions here: https://www.mostlynetworks.com/2011/03/recovering-a-cisco-fixed-switch-from-the-boot-loader/ to transfer the new IOS via xmodem. Of course, i elected to transfer at the highest possible speeds and changed the BAUD to 115200.  Right after changing the BAUD, I lost connection as expected. However, when I attempted to log into a new HyperTerminal connection @ 115200, the screen stayed blank and I was unable to reconnect. 

I've soft rebooted the module through commands in the Router and I've tried power cycling the system in hopes the BAUD would default back...it did not. After rebooting the system I attempted to reconnect with the switch via the commands below:

Router# hw-module session 1/0

The output is as follows:

port is            :  /dev/ttyDASHO
flowcontrol        :  none
baudrate is        :  9600            
parity is          :  none
databits are       :  8
escape is          :  C-a
noinit is          :  no
no reset is        :  no
nolock is          :  yes
send_cmd is        :  ascii_xfr -s -v -110
receive_cmd is     :  rz -vv

Terminal Ready

followed by a series of unintelligible characters.

I've tried different terminal emulators to no avail.  My only other thinking is that because the router is acting as a pass-through, and its connection to the switch is set @ BAUD 9600, I cannot use BAUD 115200 while trying to connect to the ESM through the router.

Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

bascheew
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem.  Were you able to get back into your SM-X switch module?  It appears that the switch module is at 115200, but router's console program picocom is running at 9600 and I don't know how to change it.

picocom v1.4

port is        : /dev/ttyDASH0
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 9600

No, unfortunately I had to send it in for repairs. The only thing I didn't try is to a change the router baud rate to match the switch baud rate. Then change the terminal baud rate to match both, so all systems are on the same baud rate. Finally, I was going to go into picom and change the rate at which it connects to the switch. I believe you can do this, but I'm not 100% sure.

As a disclaimer, I didn't try any of this myself and I wouldn't do it without the oversight from experts at Cisco.

Good luck!

brian.ward
Level 1
Level 1

I have had the same issue, and I can tell you how to set the BAUD rate on picocom in order to access the SM-X module inside your 4K ISR.

Launch picocom like normal.

hw-module session 1/0

If you press CTRL A, then press H; this will show you the list of commands possible:

*** Picocom commands (all prefixed by [C-a])

*** [C-x] : Exit picocom
*** [C-q] : Exit without reseting serial port
*** [C-b] : Set baudrate
*** [C-u] : Increase baudrate (baud-up)
*** [C-d] : Decrease baudrate (baud-down)
*** [C-i] : Change number of databits
*** [C-j] : Change number of stopbits
*** [C-f] : Change flow-control mode
*** [C-y] : Change parity mode
*** [C-p] : Pulse DTR
*** [C-t] : Toggle DTR
*** [C-g] : Toggle RTS
*** [C-|] : Send break
*** [C-c] : Toggle local echo
*** [C-s] : Send file
*** [C-r] : Receive file
*** [C-v] : Show port settings
*** [C-h] : Show this message

Press CTRL A, then press b.

You will be able to immediately set the BAUD for the console rate internally between the ISR and the SM-X module.
*** baud:

Repeat the last step again to set back to 9600 if you want to keep it factory.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card