Helpful
Replies

Best practices Stack of 5 Cisco 3850

trombidz1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to build a stack of 5 cisco 3850

Does anyone has guidance on how to cable them ?

Also, are we still limited to 4 switches in a power stack ?

Many thanks

regards

David

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does anyone has guidance on how to cable them ?

If you read the Hardware Installation Guide, there should be a tried-and-tested illustration of how to cable up the stacking cables of switches.   The documentation can be found HERE or see below image.

Can we now stack 5 switches ?

thanks

Can we now stack 5 switches ?

Depends on your IOS, but you can stack up to nine 3850 switches together.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Believe power, not data, stacking, though, might still be restricted to just four units.

thank you all.

I will follow Joseph W. Doherty cabling proposal.

so :

I can stack ( data ) 5 switches ( with a max of 9 ) however I can only stack ( power ) 4 switches. Is that correct ?

If that's correct, I will have to create 2 "power-stack".

regards

David

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I know 3750Xs are limited for four units when power stacking, but I'm unsure if the same limitation applies to 3850s.  Originally, 3850s were limited to data stacks of four, but as Leo noted, that's been increased, to nine, with the later IOSs.  Also, at least with 3750Xs, there are limitations on how much amperage the power cables support between switches.  I'm also unsure similar limitations apply to 3850s.  If there are, though, you need to be careful about your power topology, especially if a power supply fails.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

The image Leo provided (and the reference) is the usual way to wire a stack, but often requires a longer cable for top to bottom.  If you need the longer cable and don't have it, you can also wire the stack in a "braid".  For a stack of five (assume numbered 1 to 5, top to bottom), connect 1 to 2 and 3, 2 also to 4, 3 also to 5, and 4 also to 5.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco