Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Switch Live Video - Recommendation

Hi all,

hope to find everyone well

I'm designing a collapsed core system that will have to handle a large amount of CCTV cameras and I'm having doubts regarding what switches to use. I've been using the 3650s and 2960s but I've been having a few issues with the bursting and packets being dropped.

Which switch do you recommend for this type of utilization.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What IOS are you running?

You've read/seen: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/200594-Catalyst-3850-Troubleshooting-Output-dr.html ?

You might try to (further) increase buffers resources allocated to PQ1.  However, from the foregoing technote, PQ1 appears to be a "special case", which means we might not be able to tweak it best for our needs.  So, another possible approach might be to use the switch "differently", i.e. don't use PQ1 at all.  Perhaps use PQ2 for what's now PQ1 and PQ2 or perhaps use PQ2 for PQ1 and place PQ2 into another queue with a large bandwidth allocation.

It's also possible, depending on the nature of your traffic, and the capabilities of the switch, you cannot totally mitigate your drops.  In such a case you might then need either additional physical bandwidth and/or "better" network equipment than a 3650.

PS:

Did content of OP change?  I recall (?) replying to a posting with a different content.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What IOS are you running?

You've read/seen: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/200594-Catalyst-3850-Troubleshooting-Output-dr.html ?

You might try to (further) increase buffers resources allocated to PQ1.  However, from the foregoing technote, PQ1 appears to be a "special case", which means we might not be able to tweak it best for our needs.  So, another possible approach might be to use the switch "differently", i.e. don't use PQ1 at all.  Perhaps use PQ2 for what's now PQ1 and PQ2 or perhaps use PQ2 for PQ1 and place PQ2 into another queue with a large bandwidth allocation.

It's also possible, depending on the nature of your traffic, and the capabilities of the switch, you cannot totally mitigate your drops.  In such a case you might then need either additional physical bandwidth and/or "better" network equipment than a 3650.

PS:

Did content of OP change?  I recall (?) replying to a posting with a different content.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card