cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to configure and connect two 4500 switches

ejames007
Level 1
Level 1

I have a  core 4507r+e in our production environment. We just acquired a 4500r and I would like to use it a distribution switch. What’s the best way to configure the new 4500r switch to connect to the core 4500 switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can see the switch via cdp cdp neighbors and ping it

Do you mean you can ping it from the core switch ?

How have you configured the new switch ie. do you have a vlan interface (SVI) for managing it ?

If so the core switch will also have an SVI for that vlan.

So you need to set the default gateway on the new switch to be the IP of the SVI on the core switch.

Jon

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are going to be doing all the routing between vlans on your distribution switch then I would connect it with L3 uplinks to the core.

But that is a general answer not based on your topology.

What is the core actually doing ie. is this a campus environment or a single building.

What else currently connects to the core switch.

Jon

Jon,

Looks like all traffic is routed back to the core 4500 switch. The are some 3750x that connect back to the core. The 4500 is in a single building and the 3750's are located at remote site connected via fiber. The new 4500 is going to be use to connect addtional servers to the network. There are two vlans in use. One vlan for the switches and one for the entire network.

If everything is routing on the core switch then you need to use a L2 etherchannel not L3 links as I originally suggested.

Follow Joseph's advice on that

If you do not need the new servers to be in the same vlan as the existing servers then I would recommend creating a new vlan for them which would still be routed on the core switch.

It depends whether they need L2 adjacency with the existing servers. Most don't but some things like HA do.

I don't want to redesign your network but I would also look at having clients in their own vlans as well ie. not mixed in with the servers.

Jon

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

BTW, when you link your core to your distribution, the connecting link can be L2, L3 or both.

What I wanted to bring to your attention, 4500s can often easily oversubscribe some of their ports.  Much depends on the sup and line cards being used.  When you want to interconnect a core and distribution, you don't want to use a port that's something like 8:1 oversubscribed.  (Further, if you're doing mostly L2, and all traffic L3 has to go to the core, depending on you traffic flows, a single link might have insufficient bandwidth.)

Also from core to distribution, if possible, it's good to avoid single points of failure.  So if you only have one link between them, that link's transceivers (if used), the ports connected to, the line card connected to, are all single points of failure.  (Of course, with only single sups in each chassis, that too is a single point of failure.  From what you've described, from a performance and redundancy standpoint, you might actually be better off using a 4510R, with your two sups [if same model] and line cards - creating a collapsed core/distribution.)

Jon,

I setup the 4507r and connected it to the core 4507r+e. I setup trunking between the two switches and encapsulation 8021q. I can see the switch via cdp cdp neighbors and ping it.  When im connected on the 4507r+e via my workstation i cant ping it.

I can see the switch via cdp cdp neighbors and ping it

Do you mean you can ping it from the core switch ?

How have you configured the new switch ie. do you have a vlan interface (SVI) for managing it ?

If so the core switch will also have an SVI for that vlan.

So you need to set the default gateway on the new switch to be the IP of the SVI on the core switch.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The best way might be to use non-blocking ports between the two devices, and, if possible, have redundant links/cards too for those ports.

For example, if both 4500s had dual sups, you might connect a port from each sup to the other switch's sup and also define the two links into an Etherchannel.

Just one sup per 4500. The plan is to use the new 4500 to connect additional devices like server, and some workstation. The core handles all the traffic to and from the 3670 switches.

ejames007
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I can ping the new switch from the core.

Both switches are on the  native vlan 1.

I have the gateway already set to the core on the new switch.

Would it be better to send you my config to view?

thanks

ejames007
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I can ping the new switch from the core.

Both switches are on the  native vlan 1.

I have the gateway already set to the core on the new switch.

Would it be better to send you my config to view?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card