cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to perserve vlan data when moving to different vtp domain

romanroma
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best method or procedures to keep the vlan database and settings on a switch, when moving to different vtp domain?

In addition, I will need to promote a new server from a client.

Should I perform the following in order:

1. change vtp to transparent

2. change to server

3. change vtp domain

4. update vtp password

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
Why would you want to save the old vtp information if the switch is joining a different vtp domain?

I would personally make the switch vtp transparent and then wipe the vlan database off that switch, bring it back as a client in the new vtp domain, let it get populated with the new vtp domain and then promote to vtp server.

If you do need to save it, then make a copy the vlan.dat file in flash before you perform the above.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

I would say go transparent, then change domain and password, then change back to server.

Hello
Why would you want to save the old vtp information if the switch is joining a different vtp domain?

I would personally make the switch vtp transparent and then wipe the vlan database off that switch, bring it back as a client in the new vtp domain, let it get populated with the new vtp domain and then promote to vtp server.

If you do need to save it, then make a copy the vlan.dat file in flash before you perform the above.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card