cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BFD on Vlan (SVI) interfaces in IOS 12.2(33)SXJ

KURT HILLIG
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to enable BFD on a Cat6500 VLAN interface in 12.2SXJ?

We're looking at setting up anycast IP for our DNS resolvers, using exabgp on the servers to set up the peering with and inject the host route to the adjacent routers; we'd like to run BFD as well to allow for fast detection of connectivity failures - faster than the standard BGP timeout - using OpenBFDD on the servers.

I've gotten this to work between the server and an irb interface on a Juniper MX router using single-hop BFD (RFC 5881 - OpenBFDD doesn't support multihop BFD); but it doesn't appear to be possible to configure this on our 6500s.  As far as I can tell, 12.2SXJ6 only does layer 2 BFD (configured on physical interfaces rather than VLAN interfaces), even though in the BGP configuration we can enable layer 3 BFD.

I found another discussion from last fall that said this isn't supported in 12.2SXI but was in the works for the Sup720; can anyone tell me whether it will be added to 12.2SXJ, and if so when?  Or will this only be supported in IOS 15?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have only seen it used with IOS 15.

sample config for a vlan interface

interface Vlan2201

mtu 9216

ip address xxx.xxx.12.3 255.255.255.248

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

ip pim sparse-mode

vrrp 221 ip xxx.xxx.12.1

vrrp 221 priority 110

bfd interval 750 min_rx 750 multiplier 3

HTH

Thanks, I suspected as much...  :-(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card