BGP import path limit

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Expert,

I am facing difficulty in understanding exact usage of below two command

import path selection all

import path limit 6

Conside below network : If I am not using above two command then also I see two routes under output of command 'sh ip bgp vpnv4 vrf test 10.10.10.0' at PE3 (from RR1 and RR2) and output of 'sh ip route vrf test 10.10.10.0' showing one route.

And even if I use above command I see same output of two show commands then what exatly above mentioned two commands exactly do ?

import1.jpg

Thanks in advance

Regards # Mahesh

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mahesh,

the commands are described in BGP command reference and provide the maximum number of imported paths for the VRF in the context of new event driven BGP VPN import feature,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/command/bgp-c1.html#GUID-FC155DF9-4FFB-480F-9297-011FE81D3A20

However, to see 4 different paths on PE3 I think you still need to have PE1 RD <> PE2 RD for VRF test otherwise RR1 and RR2 by using best path choice will propagate only the VPNv4 advertisement originated  by minimum IGP metric to iBGP next hop or if it is equal by min BGP RID [PE1, PE2].

The symptoms look like  that PE1 RD = PE2 RD for VRF test.:

You should be able to see 4 different paths on PE3 even before applying those commands:

PE1 - RR1

PE1 - RR2

PE2-  RR1

PE3 - RR2

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card