cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Issue

farhadsultani
Level 1
Level 1

We are going to implement BGP on our single router with two different links from the same ISP, one link is 400 mbps from location A and the other is 300 mbps from Location B, we need automatic load balancing and when link on location A goes down traffic should automatically shift to Link on location B and vice versa.  Our router RAM is 256 Mbps and cup 50% load is already in use. We will advertise our own public IP prefixes on BGP.
What configuration do you suggest me to do?

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could just use maximum paths set to 2 or there are other options in that doc i provided below very good for BGP LB

Load Sharing When Dual-Homed to One Internet Service Provider (ISP) Through a Single Local Router

This scenario shows how to achieve load sharing when multiple links exist between a remote AS and a local AS. These links are terminated in one router at the local AS and on multiple routers at remote ASs in a single-homed BGP environment. The Network Diagram is an example of such a network.

This sample configuration uses the maximum-paths command. By default, BGP chooses one best path among the possible equal-cost paths that are learned from one AS. However, you can change the maximum number of parallel equal-cost paths that are allowed. In order to make this change, include the maximum-paths paths command under the BGP configuration. Use a number between 1 and 6 for the paths argument.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/13762-40.html#anc10

Thanks for replying,

but what about RAM and Processor usage, is it sufficient for the BGP.

That all depends on how many routes your pulling in , I have BGP running on 800 series backup routers but I filter the routes to only 1000 received max , if your going take a full table you need at least 1Gb ram and a router that can handle that kind of traffic , ASR , 4451 etc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card