Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP on a 5K?

ebaker2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks;

In our network we have 2 raised floor sites we are connecting via lit fiber.  We will be treating them as separate AS running EBGP with EIGRP on either siide.  The BW is 30 gig between them so we are considering Nexus 5k's at either end.  For the speed and the fact its fundamentally a EDC extension not a traditional WAN edge, on those of course we use routers.  I am trying to find out the amount of BGP support on the nexus 5K for the following, if that proves undo-able we are looking at 7K's with M series cards.  The documentation on the exact BGP support is somewhat lacking.  Do you believe we will have support for the following BGP features on the 5K:

Thank you so much!

IP PREFIX-LISTS

IP COMMUNITY-LISTS NUMBERED

IP COMMUNITY-LISTS STANDARD NAMED

EIGRP
Inbound distribute lists using route-map
Route-map filters inbound routes using a prefix-list and a EIGRP tag match
Redistribution into the protocol from BGP with a route-map that sets an EIGRP metric and tag.

BGP
Full mesh with iBGP and EBGP peers
Peer-groups (Or platform Equivilient)
Per neighbor, timer manipulation
Per neighbor, bfd
Per neighbor, soft reconfiguration
Per neighbor, send community
Per neighbor, in and outbound route-map support
Route-map matching based upon bgp communities (both numbered and named standard) and prefix-lists
Route-maps sets for community, prepending and standard bgp attributes (no-export)

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the sites are connected by lit fiber then I am not clear why you will use EBGP for the connection. But that is not the question that you asked, so let me deal with what you did ask. I configured some N5K for a customer which used EBGP, IBGP, and prefix lists and it works well. We did not use the other BGP features you list but I would guess that they are supported. For an IGP we used OSPF but I would guess that the EIGRP features that you list are supported.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick thank you so much.  We are EBGP at our cisco account rep's suggestion.  It is partially due to the far sites connectivity into AWS and Azure private cloud.  I know it seems a little odd but in our case it makes sense.

Thanks Emery

Emery

Thanks for the explanation. If the account rep suggested EBGP then certainly you would want to implement that. I hope it goes well. Let us know how it turns out.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card